Default If this doesn't make you feel old and creaky...

On 1/15/12 10:04 AM, Happy John wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:00:47 -0500, wrote:

On 1/15/2012 9:50 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 1/15/12 9:34 AM, BAR wrote:
In ,
says...

In articleaf13b6ee-0a8e-4926-b74a-86fc9f7af0f9
@v14g2000yqh.googlegroups.com,
says...

On Jan 14, 10:07 pm, wrote:
On 1/14/2012 10:52 PM, Earl wrote:

Happy John wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:39:31 -0500,
wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9TP...&feature=share
Amazing performance but she will probably need knee and hip surgery
before she's 50.
As my younger daughter, a cheerleader and gymnast in high school,
will
attest. She goes in for her
hip surgery in about a week.
That's a rough sport.

I met an NFL alum that played in the Super Bowl and he could
hardly walk
at 44 years old.

Wonder if he had any regrets...

Several years ago, there was a documentary done on the likes of these
guys. Some were in wheel chairs. They were asked the same question,
and ironically most said they had no regrets at all and if able would
'do it again'

Winning and being productive is ingrained in the human psych, at least
for most!

Survival is the basic instinct of humans all else flows from that.

Pro football's "bloodthirst" is hardly a metaphor for human life. It's
just a game, nothing more. Unfortunately, many of its fans are attracted
by its brutality and are willing to pay for their bloodlust.

Professional car racing is also a bloodsport and I'd guess more drivers
are killed each year than football players. But...if you are a driver
and you deliberately cause injuries to another driver, you're likely to
be suspended from the sport or tossed out entirely.

Let's be honest here. A big part of the attraction of football is the
likelihood of seeing over-steroided players beat the crap out of each
other, with the chance of seeing several carried off the field with
serious injuries.

Speak for yourself.

He most surely is.

Since I don't watch pro football, it isn't logical to claim I am
attracted to seeing its players beat the crap out of each other.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:17:07 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

Pro football has deteriorated into a gladiator sport where deliberately
inflicting injuries on opposing players is encouraged.

===

That was true even at the high school level back in the 60s. It seems
to be a part of the game that isn't talked about very much except in
the locker room. Hockey also but it has always been more overt.

wrote:

Pro football has deteriorated into a gladiator sport where deliberately
inflicting injuries on opposing players is encouraged.

===

That was true even at the high school level back in the 60s. It seems
to be a part of the game that isn't talked about very much except in
the locker room. Hockey also but it has always been more overt.

I'm sure you're right. But I do remember our high school coach tossing a
"star" player off the team because he used his knees to land on the
chest/stomach of an opposing player. He was gone from the team as soon
as the whistle blew.

I don't have any problems justifying my love of boxing with my disdain
for football. Pro boxers know going into the ring that injuries are
common and likely, and that the cardinal rule is to "defend yourself at
all times." A good referee will heavily penalize a boxer who does not
conduct himself appropriately, and the boxing commission will ban a
boxer who refuses to play by the rules. Somehow a 10-yard-penalty for
deliberately kneeing another player in the neck seems inappropriate.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 09:50:22 -0500, X ` Man
wrote:

A big part of the attraction of football is the
likelihood of seeing over-steroided players beat the crap out of each
other, with the chance of seeing several carried off the field with
serious injuries.

===

With all due respect, that's nonsense. There certainly is fan
appreciation for good clean hits and empathy for the recipient, but
that is quite different from what you believe.

wrote:

A big part of the attraction of football is the
likelihood of seeing over-steroided players beat the crap out of each
other, with the chance of seeing several carried off the field with
serious injuries.

===

With all due respect, that's nonsense. There certainly is fan
appreciation for good clean hits and empathy for the recipient, but
that is quite different from what you believe.

I hope you are right about this and I am wrong.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:50:36 -0500, Oscar wrote:

On 1/15/2012 10:16 AM, Happy John wrote:

I agree that strong penalties should be given to *anyone* in *any* sport who deliberately tries to
injure another player. American professional football happens to be *one* sport among *many* in
which such activities occur.

This implies that boxing should be banished from the sporting world. And
I agree with that.

That wouldn't bother me! There are a few other 'sports' where injury is the goal, like 'tapout' that
could be dropped from the list of 'sports' also.

wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

Since you don't watch pro football, your claim, "...A big part of the attraction is the
likelihood of seeing over-steroided players beat the crap out of each
other..." isn't supportable.

wrote:

[...]

But, let's agree that a boxer's purpose is to inflict injury on his opponent. I cannot see how
purposeful injury is 'good' in one sport and 'callous' in another.

Litle consistency there.

On 1/15/2012 11:43 AM, Happy John wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:50:36 -0500, wrote:

On 1/15/2012 10:16 AM, Happy John wrote:

I agree that strong penalties should be given to *anyone* in *any* sport who deliberately tries to
injure another player. American professional football happens to be *one* sport among *many* in
which such activities occur.

This implies that boxing should be banished from the sporting world. And
I agree with that.

That wouldn't bother me! There are a few other 'sports' where injury is the goal, like 'tapout' that
could be dropped from the list of 'sports' also.

Actually if you watch Mixed Martial Arts, very few of the victories are
by knockout. There is a lot to this Roman Greko (sp?) wrestling... quite
a science if you pay attention. I don't watch a lot of it though, dad
and I noticed that it really raises your heart rate, especially when the
two opponents are in a static fight for control... you almost hold your
breath till someone flinches. Decided it wasn't good for us...

On 1/15/2012 10:46 AM, Oscar wrote:

wrote:

X ` Man wrote:

[...]

You being a non-participant and non-fan makes for a very wrong view of
the spectators of both Racing and Football. Maybe the thugs you hung out
with liked to see just the smashing of bodies and metal, but most real
fans don't....

Can we do this without personal attacks?

apologies to Harry... my bad....