jim

Default can you flush the risers?

Hello,

I use my starcraft, mercruiser i/o, primarily in sal****er. From reading
the archives, it seems the risers and manifold are the first to go.
Probably not the manifolds but is there a way to flush the risers or do
they flush with muffs? I read about the Salt-X detergent. Anyone use
this? How do you use this stuff during flushing?? How do you use this
stuff to wash your boat like with a sponge or powerwasher?

TIA!

Jim

jps

It's a pretty common practice for inboards.

You can install a spigot between the thru hull intake and the seawater
strainer. When ready you can attach a fresh water hose (you'll need to make
a double female interconnect) to the spigot (with thru hull closed). This
will force fresh water through the system and flush the salt water out.

jps

"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I use my starcraft, mercruiser i/o, primarily in sal****er. From reading
the archives, it seems the risers and manifold are the first to go.
Probably not the manifolds but is there a way to flush the risers or do
they flush with muffs? I read about the Salt-X detergent. Anyone use
this? How do you use this stuff during flushing?? How do you use this
stuff to wash your boat like with a sponge or powerwasher?

TIA!

Jim

NetSock

They will flush with the muffs, but you will only get everything flushed by
waiting until the thermostat opens.

Very important when flushing with muffs...bring engine all the way to
operating temperature.

Good luck.

--
"Do or do not...there is no try."

-Yoda
"jim" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I use my starcraft, mercruiser i/o, primarily in sal****er. From reading
the archives, it seems the risers and manifold are the first to go.
Probably not the manifolds but is there a way to flush the risers or do
they flush with muffs? I read about the Salt-X detergent. Anyone use
this? How do you use this stuff during flushing?? How do you use this
stuff to wash your boat like with a sponge or powerwasher?

TIA!

Jim

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hey Jim,

A lesson from the (expensive) school of hard knocks.

Blowing a manifold or riser can ruin your engine. Hydrolock is the most
common thing to happen. The manifolds, risers and flappers are corroded
by exhaust gasses and heat rather then salt. But, salt adds its
corrosion contribution too. Most exhaust parts have a life span to
failure of 3 years or so when used heavily in salt water. I replace mine
every 24 months or 400 hours. Its cheaper then buying and installing a
long block! Don't forget to install NEW Bolts and NEW flappers too.

Be sure to use high temp Anti-Sieze compound on the threads when
re-installing exhaust parts.

Capt. Frank

jim wrote:

Hello,

I use my starcraft, mercruiser i/o, primarily in sal****er. From reading
the archives, it seems the risers and manifold are the first to go.
Probably not the manifolds but is there a way to flush the risers or do
they flush with muffs? I read about the Salt-X detergent. Anyone use
this? How do you use this stuff during flushing?? How do you use this
stuff to wash your boat like with a sponge or powerwasher?

TIA!

Jim

Manifolds and Risers Jim and Becky General 4 September 21st 03 01:02 PM
Mercruiser flush? HALCO HAL General 2 September 9th 03 05:05 AM
Help -- Eshaust manifolds and risers for 5.7L Merc JohnH General 0 August 14th 03 01:59 PM
Manifolds and risers -- help (on topic!!) JohnH General 0 August 13th 03 09:48 PM
Small Yamaha fresh water flush Don General 1 August 5th 03 07:04 PM