HALCO HAL

Default Mercruiser flush?

I have a 5.7Liter with a Alpha drive that I will be using in salt water. Is
there anything on the market that will allow me to connect a garden hose to the
motor to flush out the system or will I have to put muffs on the outdrive to do
the job?
Darryl Macdonald

muff's when you are done the season. My boat has a "hose connection", for
lack of better term, on my transom. Up untill now i had not thought of using
it to flush the salt out while I was still tied at my salt water floating
dock. I guess that if the water pressure from the hose was greater that the
preasure from the impeller that the fresh water would flush the system clean
from salt. Good thought. Others please letus know. My system actually "T"'s
in the intake between the impeller and the thermostate housing. Thanks.

"HALCO HAL" wrote in message
I have a 5.7Liter with a Alpha drive that I will be using in salt water.

Is
there anything on the market that will allow me to connect a garden hose

to the
motor to flush out the system or will I have to put muffs on the outdrive

to do
the job?

JR North

At least get a half FWC system installed. The cost can be
minimized if you do it yourself. It's not too hard. Raw salt
water cooling will shorten the life of the engine and
cooling sys parts dramatically. With a half system, the
exhaust manifolds are still raw water cooled, but they're
cheap compared to the damage salt water will ultimately cost
you. If you trailer the boat, you can flush the raw side of
the system with muffs, and remove the drain plug in the
bottom of the manifolds to drain them. In this way, they
will last a long time.
JR