Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default can you flush the risers?

Hey Jim,

A lesson from the (expensive) school of hard knocks.

Blowing a manifold or riser can ruin your engine. Hydrolock is the most
common thing to happen. The manifolds, risers and flappers are corroded
by exhaust gasses and heat rather then salt. But, salt adds its
corrosion contribution too. Most exhaust parts have a life span to
failure of 3 years or so when used heavily in salt water. I replace mine
every 24 months or 400 hours. Its cheaper then buying and installing a
long block! Don't forget to install NEW Bolts and NEW flappers too.

Be sure to use high temp Anti-Sieze compound on the threads when
re-installing exhaust parts.

Capt. Frank

jim wrote:

Hello,

I use my starcraft, mercruiser i/o, primarily in sal****er. From reading
the archives, it seems the risers and manifold are the first to go.
Probably not the manifolds but is there a way to flush the risers or do
they flush with muffs? I read about the Salt-X detergent. Anyone use
this? How do you use this stuff during flushing?? How do you use this
stuff to wash your boat like with a sponge or powerwasher?

TIA!

Jim