Default Dec 6-7: Suisun Bay (Cal Delta) Sturgeon Brawl!

This old man swore off fishing for awhile after the trip two weeks
ago. I'm too old and wimpy to fish the cold days and nights of
December and January. But the tides and the weather were aligning so
perfectly that I had to make one more effort at using my second
sturgeon tag! We're allowed three, and I like keeping one no matter
because when the last tag is used... no more sturgeon fishing for the
year! But I don't want two at the end of the year!

So I faced the cold and headed downriver from Rio Vista, CA to my
sturgeon honey hole on Suisun Bay. I whiled away the afternoon of Day
1, trying to lure a big ol' sturgy with my usual Lamprey eel steaks.
One lil' sturgy about 2 feet long fell for my guile, but he was short
of the 46" to 66" slot and was returned to the huge outgoing current.

By 1800, long after dark and even colder, I was becoming discouraged.
Just as I was trying to encourage myself by recalling the many nights
my patience paid off, my reel ticked off a few inches of line... WHAM!
I set the hook... and missed.

Surely he'd be back for another nibble... sturgeon usually do. Sure
enough, a minute or two later he pulled again - and I set the hook
deep! It was a grand fight for about 10 minutes. He fought his heart
out, but in the end wound up in my fish casket. He measured 54 inches
and weighed 34 pounds. That last trip of the year in the cold paid
off!

I spent the night on Suisun Bay, not wanting to navigate upriver for
20 miles in the dark if I didn't have to. My C-Dory with its V-berth
and heater was comfy enough for the night, but at first light I headed
for the ramp and home - where I'll likely stay 'til some warming
February days convince me to start a new year of fishing!

Photos and more story on my homepage: http://tinyurl.com/7p7387n or if
that doesn't work:
http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...-bay-sturgeon/

-Dale

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 14:15:52 -0800 (PST), Dale Gillespie
wrote:

I spent the night on Suisun Bay, not wanting to navigate upriver for
20 miles in the dark if I didn't have to. My C-Dory with its V-berth
and heater

===

As usual Dale, nice writeup. Thanks for posting.

What do you use as a heater?

On Dec 8, 5:15*pm, Dale Gillespie wrote:
[...]

that doesn't work:http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...ty-suisun-bay-...

-Dale

Who cares about a dork that is fishing endangered fish? What a tool.
Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 8, 4:15*pm, Dale Gillespie wrote:
[...]

Excellent Dale. How cold did it get?

[...]

Great story and pictures, Dale.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:37:06 -0800 (PST), "*e#c" wrote:

[...]

Why are you not writing to the California liberals who believe the sturgeon population is healthy
enough to allow limits?

Has Harry turned you into a well-trained bitch?

On 12/9/11 8:40 AM, Black Cloud wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:37:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 8, 5:15 pm, Dale wrote:
[...]

You really are obsessed with me, herring. Maybe I should hold a raffle
for you and your retarded right-wing buddies. The winner can kiss my butt.

--
http://flickr.com/gp/hakr/8272ug

On Dec 8, 5:15 pm, Dale *wrote:
[...]

--http://flickr.com/gp/hakr/8272ug- Hide quoted text -

They'd be spending the family grocery money lining up for tickets.
LOL
A motley crew to be sure.

On Dec 8, 5:15 pm, Dale *wrote:
[...]

You really think kissing Harry's butt is worth all that, Donnie?

I'd think a better match for Harry's butt would be a telephone pole. But, you surely know best.