Donny

Default Fitting a boat trailer to a boat.

Hi folks,

Adjusting the trailer tomorrow to fit, "Deux Freres", for haul out
sunday.

*sniff*

1. Am I correct in assuming that the rear bunks should be directly
under the stringers? Front bunks look like they will be either side of
the skeg just fine.

2. The very trailing edge of the transom should be right at the back
of the bunk, or a little forward of it, but not behind it. (Trim tabs
will be up and out of the way).

3. I don't have a bow eye yet, we'll be loading her with the travel
lift, and using heavy tie-down straps to hold her on the trailer, but
where do I place it on the bow in relation to the winch tower, (which
is adjustable)?

Thanks

Donny
1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
Wayne.B

On 5 Oct 2003 07:25:06 -0500, Donny
wrote:
2. The very trailing edge of the transom should be right at the back
of the bunk, or a little forward of it, but not behind it. (Trim tabs
will be up and out of the way).

=============================

Transom even with the back of the bunks is a reasonable starting point
but may have to be adjusted a bit before you get done. I've just gone
through a trailer configuration process with a 24 ft I/O cuddy and may
be able to help a little. If you are going to tow the boat at highway
speed the most important thing is to get the proper tongue weight at
the hitch ball, and that is controlled by the fore-and-aft position of
the boat on the trailer, and by the location of the trailer axles. On
my trailer it was necessary to set tongue weight close to the
recommended maximum of 10%. After the axles were moved back, the
transom ended up about 6 to 8 inches aft of the bunks but it doesn't
seem to matter. With some further tweaking of axle position we could
probably have ended up with the transom at the back of the bunks but
moving axles is a big job. The boat is now well supported and tows
just fine. We found that small adjustments in the fore-and-aft
position of the boat make BIG differences in tongue weight.

Harry Krause

Nigel Knott wrote:

Careful if the transom is beyond the bunks, as the weight of the engine
could cause the hull to 'hook' .

Depends on the boat, the engine and the trailer, and how much of the
weight of the boat is actually supported. On most roller trailers I see,
the aft set of rollers are six inches to a foot away from the transom.
But it certainly is an issue with some setups.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Wayne.B

Nigel Knott wrote:

Careful if the transom is beyond the bunks, as the weight of the engine
could cause the hull to 'hook'

..
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:38:06 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

Depends on the boat, the engine and the trailer, and how much of the
weight of the boat is actually supported. On most roller trailers I see,
the aft set of rollers are six inches to a foot away from the transom.
But it certainly is an issue with some setups.

I think it's more of an issue with an outboard where the weight of the
motor is bearing directly on the transom. With an I/O the engine
weight is supported by the stringers at points several feet forward of
the transom.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:34:50 +0100, Nigel Knott wrote:

Careful if the transom is beyond the bunks, as the weight of the engine
could cause the hull to 'hook' .

Not so much with an I/O. With an outboard, the transom carries the weight
of the motor. With an I/O, the motor is a foot or so fwd of the transom.

Lloyd