Nigel Knott

Default Fitting a boat trailer to a boat.

Careful if the transom is beyond the bunks, as the weight of the engine
could cause the hull to 'hook' .

--
Nigel Knott

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 5 Oct 2003 07:25:06 -0500, Donny
wrote:
2. The very trailing edge of the transom should be right at the back
of the bunk, or a little forward of it, but not behind it. (Trim tabs
will be up and out of the way).

=============================

Transom even with the back of the bunks is a reasonable starting point
but may have to be adjusted a bit before you get done. I've just gone
through a trailer configuration process with a 24 ft I/O cuddy and may
be able to help a little. If you are going to tow the boat at highway
speed the most important thing is to get the proper tongue weight at
the hitch ball, and that is controlled by the fore-and-aft position of
the boat on the trailer, and by the location of the trailer axles. On
my trailer it was necessary to set tongue weight close to the
recommended maximum of 10%. After the axles were moved back, the
transom ended up about 6 to 8 inches aft of the bunks but it doesn't
seem to matter. With some further tweaking of axle position we could
probably have ended up with the transom at the back of the bunks but
moving axles is a big job. The boat is now well supported and tows
just fine. We found that small adjustments in the fore-and-aft
position of the boat make BIG differences in tongue weight.