Default Interesting info about vessel which caused Halifax Explosion

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...-lie-falklands
Tim Tim is offline

On Dec 6, 3:19*pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship’s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:10:33 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19*pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship’s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19 pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re....

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.

I remember "Life" had an expose on that several years ago. . Wasn't it
a huge oil tank farm that exploded?

On Dec 6, 7:10*pm, Tim wrote:
On Dec 6, 3:19*pm, North Star wrote:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship’s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

.... and in those years the entire city was concentrated near the
harbour with a total population around 40 thousand.

wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19 pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.

I remember "Life" had an expose on that several years ago. . Wasn't it
a huge oil tank farm that exploded?

i'm too lazy to look it up but think it was when a bunch of black
sailors were ordered to load a bunch of navy ships with gunpowder or
some such situation...didnt turn out very well

In article 0b21c28f-5867-4968-9eed-60d0011c73f4
@j10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, says...

wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19 pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.

I remember "Life" had an expose on that several years ago. . Wasn't it
a huge oil tank farm that exploded?

Port Chicago, WWII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Chicago_disaster

bpuharic wrote:
i'm too lazy to look it up but think it was when a bunch of black
sailors were ordered to load a bunch of navy ships with gunpowder or
some such situation...didnt turn out very well

You're too lazy to do a lot of things, Bob.

-HB

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:13:51 -0500, Honey Badger
wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
i'm too lazy to look it up but think it was when a bunch of black
sailors were ordered to load a bunch of navy ships with gunpowder or
some such situation...didnt turn out very well

You're too lazy to do a lot of things, Bob.

-HB

yeah. babysitting the right wing is at the top of the list

wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19 pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.

I remember "Life" had an expose on that several years ago. . Wasn't it
a huge oil tank farm that exploded?

i'm too lazy to look it up but think it was when a bunch of black
sailors were ordered to load a bunch of navy ships with gunpowder or
some such situation...didnt turn out very well

Intellectually lazy describes you. Was Port Chicago and was WW2. Was
munitions for the war in the Pacific. Was mostly black sailors killed as
they were used as stevedores. They were not supplied gloves and the
consensus is someone dropped an unstable munitions' and triggered the
explosion. Port Chicago was in active use as a Navy explosives storage area
up until a few years ago. The pier where the explosion took place is still
there and is a memorial now. During the 70's was lots of demonstrations
against the military held at the entrance. Cost my partner in business a
good amount of money as our delivery drivers could not get past the entrance
to the station to get to our storage yard. We actually backed up to the
entrance with our back fence. Township of Clyde which is now part of
Concord. Neat houses there. Was a company town and the houses were all
Frank Lloyd Wright designed.

Oilfield EXPLOSION redux Steve B[_4_] General 1 September 6th 10 07:35 PM
Interesting for military or security info Don White General 10 November 22nd 09 01:10 PM
Explosion and fire down my pier Keith Cruising 1 March 31st 07 03:31 PM
Explosion and Fire! Bob Crantz ASA 1 July 10th 06 05:06 PM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM