Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Interesting info about vessel which caused Halifax Explosion

"bpuharic" wrote in message

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:43:56 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Dec 6, 5:32 pm, bpuharic wrote:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:10:33 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Dec 6, 3:19 pm, North Star wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ion-vessels-re...

"About 20 minutes later, on Dec. 6, 1917, the explosion of the other
ship s volatile cargo laid waste to two square kilometres of the city,
killed almost 2,000 and injured 9,000."

WOW!!!!

I just googled up some pictures of the wreckage left after the
explosion. Devastating doesn't describe it.

Thanks Don.

similar thing happened in california in ww 1.

I remember "Life" had an expose on that several years ago. . Wasn't it
a huge oil tank farm that exploded?

i'm too lazy to look it up but think it was when a bunch of black
sailors were ordered to load a bunch of navy ships with gunpowder or
some such situation...didnt turn out very well

Intellectually lazy describes you. Was Port Chicago and was WW2. Was
munitions for the war in the Pacific. Was mostly black sailors killed as
they were used as stevedores. They were not supplied gloves and the
consensus is someone dropped an unstable munitions' and triggered the
explosion. Port Chicago was in active use as a Navy explosives storage area
up until a few years ago. The pier where the explosion took place is still
there and is a memorial now. During the 70's was lots of demonstrations
against the military held at the entrance. Cost my partner in business a
good amount of money as our delivery drivers could not get past the entrance
to the station to get to our storage yard. We actually backed up to the
entrance with our back fence. Township of Clyde which is now part of
Concord. Neat houses there. Was a company town and the houses were all
Frank Lloyd Wright designed.