Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Nov 21-22 Suisun Bay (Cal Delta) Stripers - but no sturgeon this trip...

I cruised downriver from Rio Visa, CA to Suisun Bay, about a 20 mile
cruise, on flat water under sunny skies - in my T-shirt! It was an
awesome November day on my beloved Delta.

The plan was to catch another sturgeon and to spend the night at
anchor on the bay. I fished from about noon 'til 2200 when I called it
a day and climbed into the V-berth for the night. I managed to catch
just a 20" striper - which I usually release - but kept this one as he
was bleeding pretty bad. I fished throughout a long, outgoing current,
well into the cold and darkness of a beautiful Suisun night, but
couldn't attract a sturgeon with the eel I was offering.

I was fishing again at 0530 on Day 2, in the fog and the cold, and
stayed faithful to to the cause 'til noon. I reeled in one more
striper a bit over 18" and kept him too, as he was hooked badly. I had
caught a striper limit although they were small and hardly equal to a
sturgeon, but my neighbor loved 'em!

I headed the 20 miles or so back upriver at noon to the ramp and on
home. It was a good trip, and the stripers gave me some success, but
I'm hoping to fill another sturgeon tag next week if the weather
cooperates!

Photos and more story - and soon a video - on my site:
http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2011...e-of-stripers/

-Dale