Professional Target

Default New Boat - 2 Choices... Opinions?

I've narrowed down my choices in my search for a decent touring kayak to the
following:

Prijon Barracuda
Current Designs Squall

I'm leaning more heavily to the Prijon, but overall, both seem very good in
the fit department. My next step is getting these out on the water for a
test drive.

Originally, I'd been in the market for a Tempest 165, but this boat was so
small in the cockpit, I could barely fit into it (I'm 5'11" 175lbs). The
Barracuda and Squall both fit like gloves.

Now, I must ask for opinions from those folks who have a Barracuda or have
tried one out. What is your take on the boat? The reviews at paddling.net
are sparse. How does it handle under various conditions? The roughest
water mine is likely to see is the Great Lakes, but will be spending most
of its time on smaller lakes (Chain of Lakes area in Northern Il.) and
larger rivers (fla****er).

I've heard the Barracuda isn't too easy to turn, but this doesn't bother
me since most of the time, I'll be going in a more-or-less straight line
anyway. When in doubt, there's always the rudder.

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

Thanks

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin
Michael Daly

On 17-Jul-2004, Professional Target wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices in my search for a decent touring kayak to the
following:

Prijon Barracuda
Current Designs Squall

I'm leaning more heavily to the Prijon, but overall, both seem very good in
the fit department. My next step is getting these out on the water for a
test drive.

The Barracuda was reviewed in the June 2003 issue of Sea Kayaker. It sounds
like a decent plastic kayak. It apparently is one of the fastest plastic kayaks
out there. I've never paddled one, but it would be nice to check out.

I've heard the Barracuda isn't too easy to turn, but this doesn't bother
me since most of the time, I'll be going in a more-or-less straight line
anyway. When in doubt, there's always the rudder.

Any decent kayak will carve a turn on edge. Learn to do that with a good sweep
and you won't need a rudder. If the kayak needs a rudder, look for another
kayak - no kayak should need a rudder. A kayak that needs a rudder will be
uncontrollable when the rudder breaks.

Mike
Courtney

Did you know that the Tempest also comes in a bigger size, the 170?

Courtney

"Professional Target" wrote in message
Originally, I'd been in the market for a Tempest 165, but this boat was so
small in the cockpit, I could barely fit into it (I'm 5'11" 175lbs). The
Barracuda and Squall both fit like gloves.

Michael Daly

On 18-Jul-2004, "Courtney" wrote:

Did you know that the Tempest also comes in a bigger size, the 170?

According to their web site, they both have the same size cockpit.
However, it's 34x18, which is somewhat bigger than most (CD Solstice
XL = 31x16 and that's one of the biggest kayaks made!).

I suspect that the highly adjustable seat wasn't adjusted to his size.
Another poster a while ago made the same complaint and I told him to go
back and have the dealer set up the seat for him.

The OP is about the same height/weight as me and I know bigger paddlers
who have the Tempest. I suspect the problem isn't the kayak but the
setup.

Mike
Professional Target

"Courtney" writes:

Did you know that the Tempest also comes in a bigger size, the 170?

Yes, thanks, but the dealers around here don't have any in stock and all
want a deposit or payment up front to order one, so I'd be obligated to
buy. Can't really take the risk.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin

Professional Target

"Michael Daly" writes:
The OP is about the same height/weight as me and I know bigger paddlers
who have the Tempest. I suspect the problem isn't the kayak but the
setup.

Well, with any luck, I'll be able to try one of these on the water next
weekend. But even so, the deck height was very low and the seat appeared
to be all the way back, so I suspect this boat would cramp a bit. I have
rather long legs, so that may be part of the problem.

One issue I have with the quality of the boat (and it may be a non-issue)
is the hatch covers - they look rather weak to me, and seem they could be
easily pulled off when you don't want them off...

Whatever the case, I'll spend some serious time with any boats I can next
week, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info everyone.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin
Michael Daly

On 18-Jul-2004, Professional Target wrote:

But even so, the deck height was very low and the seat appeared
to be all the way back, so I suspect this boat would cramp a bit. I have
rather long legs, so that may be part of the problem.

I've yet to see a full-sized kayak that can't handle tall folks. In fact
I know a lot of people who wish they'd make the kayak cockpits shorter
(i.e. place the forward bulkhead further aft) to provide more storage
forward and less floodable volume in the cockpit.

A low deck is good and is desirable for a lot of paddlers. But with a
keyhole cockpit, you're stuck in the birthing position with low knees.
It may not really be cramped, but it might feel that way. I prefer
an ocean cockpit with a low deck.

One issue I have with the quality of the boat (and it may be a non-issue)
is the hatch covers - they look rather weak to me, and seem they could be
easily pulled off when you don't want them off...

They look like VCP type - stiffer than the rubbery Kayaksport type. They
can be surprisingly hard to remove, especially when it's cold. They are
matched to a rim that is a tight fit. I wouldn't worry about them, but
keep them treated with a UV protectant like 303.

If they tend to bulge or suck in with changes in temperature, they are too
air tight and it's a good idea to make the tiniest hole in the bulkhead to
prevent air pressure from building up. Make the hole in the middle of the
bulkhead and it won't leak more than a drip of water once in a while.

Mike
Courtney

When I tried both of the boats I was cramped in the 165 but fit well in the
170. I believe the cockpit depth had alot to do with that since it's and
inch more in the 170. The length of the cockpit on the 170 is a little
longer as well by a half inch. The seat and thigh braces are highly
adjustable as well so that will help.

As for the day hatches they worked well for me in both regular touring and
in the surf. I watched the designer do eddyline stern squirts in his kayak
where the entire back half of the boat was submerged vertically and they
stayed on just fine.

In any case if there's a boat that you like and everything fits just fine
except the length of the legs, you can always remove the foot braces and
lower the rail.

Courtney

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
oday 25, for the beginner or not? Phracktal Cruising 12 June 7th 04 05:43 AM
Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM