Michael Daly

Default New Boat - 2 Choices... Opinions?

On 17-Jul-2004, Professional Target wrote:

I've narrowed down my choices in my search for a decent touring kayak to the
following:

Prijon Barracuda
Current Designs Squall

I'm leaning more heavily to the Prijon, but overall, both seem very good in
the fit department. My next step is getting these out on the water for a
test drive.

The Barracuda was reviewed in the June 2003 issue of Sea Kayaker. It sounds
like a decent plastic kayak. It apparently is one of the fastest plastic kayaks
out there. I've never paddled one, but it would be nice to check out.

I've heard the Barracuda isn't too easy to turn, but this doesn't bother
me since most of the time, I'll be going in a more-or-less straight line
anyway. When in doubt, there's always the rudder.

Any decent kayak will carve a turn on edge. Learn to do that with a good sweep
and you won't need a rudder. If the kayak needs a rudder, look for another
kayak - no kayak should need a rudder. A kayak that needs a rudder will be
uncontrollable when the rudder breaks.

Mike