Eric

Default [Q] SOS Signal Lights

I was wondering if anyone has come across an SOS Signal Light
appropriate for kayaking and one that meets USCG Regulations regarding
visual distress signals?

I am aware of the ACR Electronics DistressS.O.S light, but this light
seems quite bulky and I would like something easily attachable to my
PFD.

The VIP Signal Light would comes close, but apparently does not meet
USCG regulations regarding visual distress signals.

Fiona

(Eric) wrote in message . ..
I was wondering if anyone has come across an SOS Signal Light
appropriate for kayaking and one that meets USCG Regulations regarding
visual distress signals?

I am aware of the ACR Electronics DistressS.O.S light, but this light
seems quite bulky and I would like something easily attachable to my
PFD.

The VIP Signal Light would comes close, but apparently does not meet
USCG regulations regarding visual distress signals.

there are strobe lights made for survival suits.
any good ships chandler should have them. on the atlantic and pacific
coast most places that sell stuff to commercial fishermen or offshore
vessles will have what you are after.
oh; they don't flash . . . - - - . . . they just flash a bright white
light which is a marine distress signal.
mine is called a A-Strobe tm.
made by ACR Electronics Inc . out of florida usa.
it has a USCG #
it is a simple little device with double a batteries.
my old one was square with a 12 volt battery that cost to much.
both strobes were in my boat and pfd untill the old one never worked
on a test.
they are abour $25.00 each with bouble a batteries.

EPRBS and ELB's are good if you are way out of reach but you must be
carefull.

i carry a strobe, 2 flashlights a couple of flares ( some expired )
and a marine VHF which i don't have a license to use.
i have the gear to get help and the smarts not to need it.

now when i paddled in newfoundland i was not so confident.

hope this helps.

by the way; the chemical light sticks ... they are useless for
anything but tracking friends in a night paddle or gentle light in
front of a tent so you don't trip.
i would never trust one as a safety device.

good luck, hope you get lots on time on the water but never torn the
strobe on.
fiona
Brian Nystrom

Eric wrote:

Please check out the regulations reguarding visual distress signals.

http://seayaks.home.att.net/CoastGuardPage2.htm

For night paddling, you are required to carry either flares or an
electric distress light. A plain strobe light _does not_ qualify.

So carry a few flares. What's the problem with that?

Brian Nystrom

Fiona wrote:

i carry a strobe, 2 flashlights a couple of flares ( some expired )
and a marine VHF which i don't have a license to use.

You're in the UK, correct? No license is required in the US, but Canada
does require one. Perhaps it's because they still have the Queen on
their money? ;-)

i have the gear to get help and the smarts not to need it.

That sounds like a winning formula.

now when i paddled in newfoundland i was not so confident.

hope this helps.

by the way; the chemical light sticks ... they are useless for
anything but tracking friends in a night paddle or gentle light in
front of a tent so you don't trip.
i would never trust one as a safety device.

Interestingly, when we met with a local Coast Guard Unit, they indicated
that they are quite visible from the air. One should not rely ONLY on
them, but the CG recommended them as a useful addition to the required
lighting.

Eric

If anyone is interested in looking up the official regulations, they can
apparently be found at:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/mse4/vds.htm
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/mse4/vds.htm#161013
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=33&PART=175&S
UBPART=C&TYPE=TEXT
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=46&PART=161&S
UBPART=161.013&TYPE=TEXT

Also, I was told about this product:

http://www.cmcrescue.com/product.php?dept_id=1345

which appears to be the only one on the market at this time which
fulfills those regulations.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu