Paul

Default Floating trip on Ouachita river - AR

I would like to do a floating trip along the Ouachita river.
Preferably one that lasts 3 days. I would like to camp along the
river. I will need to rent a canoe but I have my own camping
equipment. Is such a trip possible?
Where would the starting and ending point would be?
How can I travel from my ending point to where my car is (where I
started)? What do I do with the canoe?
Thanks in advance

-- Paul
Maurice Loridans

a floating trip along the Ouachita river.Preferably one that lasts 3
days.

Put in at the 379 bridge near Oden. Take out at Dragover take out @ 32
miles downstream.

I would like to camp along the
river.

You can camp "primitive" on gravel bars or at Rocky Shoals, River
Haven, Fulton Branch or Dragover for developed campgrounds.

I will need to rent a canoe but I have my own camping
equipment.

Local outfitters: River Haven 877-314-2836, Ouachita Joe's
877-326-5517.

Is such a trip possible?
Where would the starting and ending point would be?
How can I travel from my ending point to where my car is (where I
started)? What do I do with the canoe?

Not only possible but recommended. Outfitter will help shuttle etc.

Meaux
Kim Tucker

Paul,

I don't know that the Ouachita River has a long enough continuously
floatable section for a 3 day trip. I'm only familar with a couple of
widely separated sections of the Ouachita. If not the Ouachita, you
might want to try the Buffalo River in northern Arkansas. It would be
perfect for your trip with probably even better scenery (but the
scenery on the Ouachita is great too). For some good information on
either river and many others in Arkansas, I'd suggest that you post
your questions on the Arkansas Canoe Club webpage --
www.arkansascanoeclub.com You'll probably get lots of answers there
rather quickly. As far as renting the canoe and shuttling your
vehicle, there are outfitters on both the Ouachita and the Buffalo
that regularly provide that service. Ask about those on the message
board or check the commercial members section of the ACC webpage.
Hope this helps! Whatever you do, you'll have fun!

Kim