Default In Florida - Don't Go Near the Water

TITUSVILLLE — Hundreds lined Max Brewer Bridge on Monday evening to drop
flower petals in honor of 16-year-old Courtney Nash, who died Saturday
from a rare amoebic infection contracted after swimming in the St. Johns
River.

Schoolmates, friends and entire families stopped to pay tribute to the
girl as they crowded on one side of the bridge.

Many wore T-shirts in memory of Nash. "R.I.P. CJN," read one. "I love
you, Courtney," read another.

- - -

One wonders if flajim had been swimming in that river earlier...

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
TITUSVILLLE — Hundreds lined Max Brewer Bridge on Monday evening to drop
flower petals in honor of 16-year-old Courtney Nash, who died Saturday
from a rare amoebic infection contracted after swimming in the St. Johns
River.

Schoolmates, friends and entire families stopped to pay tribute to the
girl as they crowded on one side of the bridge.

Many wore T-shirts in memory of Nash. "R.I.P. CJN," read one. "I love
you, Courtney," read another.

- - -

One wonders if flajim had been swimming in that river earlier...

One of the first things you will be told on The Savannah River is to not
touch the water. They wear rubber gloves when docking or undocking.
You can watch railroad tanker cars being cleaned with steam and the
discharge running down the rocks and into the river a little above the
island and a short ways to the ocean. The water stinks but there is
still fish in it.
The Dolphins won't come much beyond the island. I think it is because of
the pollution. If they knew what they were in I'm sure they wouldn't
come near the river at all.
There are many rivers in bad shape. The one I use to fish, just about
every evening, most of the mussels died at least one year. You could see
what appeared to be marshmallows floating all over the water. It was
dead mussels out of their shells.
I found one big mussel shell and it was paper thin years ago. The
biggest ones now, where there are any are about the size of your thumb.
One year when we came back in there was stuff all over the water. It was
hell cleaning the boat. It was human feces. they found a lot of syringes
and stuff that year. The little nooks and slack areas of the lakes are
full of every conceivable piece of plastic, garbage, old tires, tampons,
and you name it.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:34:28 -0400, LilAbner wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Well, I'll have to admit that even with all its problems (including the f**king swans), the
Chesapeake isn't quite that bad.

If I were you, I'd take some pictures, post them, and let all of us send them to Bobo.

On 8/16/11 4:54 PM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:34:28 -0400, wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Herring lets his grandchildren swim in the Potomac, *downstream* from a
major sewage plant.

--
Don't forget to leave a bit of beef for rec.boat's right-wing
conservatrashers and ID spoofers to feed upon. The more they feed, the

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Actually downstream from that dual-diesel powered garbage scowl you
call your boat.

In article e6655f2a-2a28-4aad-83b5-e857deed1573
@z17g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

It doesn't exist. Another of his lies.

In article ,
says...

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Boy, Harry, no wonder your kids abandoned you as soon as possible. What
a life they must have had, what with you protecting them from every
possible boo-boo imaginable. I'm so fortunate that I grew up in a
society where I could run around in the woods until dark, ride dirt
bikes, snowmobiles, even had old field cars. We worked hard on the farm
around dangerous equipment. The good thing is that we were taught how to
protect ourselves, instead of having to rely on parents or the
government to keep us out of harms way. Did I ever get hurt? You bet, I
have the scars to prove it. Part of the learning experience. It sure
beat the hell out of being locked in a room taking practice tests!

On 8/16/2011 8:29 PM, wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

I remember shortly after they did the "Lady Bird" renovations to Blue
Plains they had the manager on TV and he scooped up a cup of the
effluent water and drank it.
They were saying the water below Blue Plains was cleaner than the
water up stream.

We had a little burst of E-coli coming down the Caloosahatchee last
week but it cleared up

http://esetappsdoh.doh.state.fl.us/i...spx?county=Lee

I do water samples in the Estero River and if people knew the numbers
they wouldn't want to touch it in February when the snowbirds are here

I was familiar with testing that was done on -- river. Numbers looked
really bad. They were told the test were not right and to re do the test
until they got real numbers. That is not the exact language.
The orders areto serve the Political leadership. Do your job and lose
it. the law is what the politician says it is not what is on the book.
civil Service was valuable in that it kept that from happening many many
times.

On 8/16/2011 10:25 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:05:04 -0400, wrote:

On 8/16/2011 8:29 PM,
wrote:

[...]

That is one reason why the data we collect is fairly pure. We do not
report to anyone in the government and the people we do work with in
DEP do their damnedest not to get caught up in political fights. They
really discourage broadcasting the data we collect officially and
allowing it to be used for going after polluters ... but that doesn't
stop us from collecting "other" data sets that can be used to ring the
alarm bell.

The official data is really meant to be a scientific history source,
not anything that is in real time. Although we can get our snapshots
from the labs fairly quickly, it does not get published for quite a
while and it is usually defining trends and projections. I doubt most
politicians even know we exist.

I don't have a feel for the in and outs of it. But Policy comes before
mandate or law apparently. The Politician probably has no idea who is
involved but if the numbers don't match their policy or agenda than
well.**** flows down hill. Political appointees are there for a reason.