Default In Florida - Don't Go Near the Water

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:29:18 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:56:02 -0400, X ~ Man
wrote:

On 8/16/11 4:54 PM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:34:28 -0400, wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
TITUSVILLLE — Hundreds lined Max Brewer Bridge on Monday evening to drop
flower petals in honor of 16-year-old Courtney Nash, who died Saturday
from a rare amoebic infection contracted after swimming in the St. Johns
River.

Schoolmates, friends and entire families stopped to pay tribute to the
girl as they crowded on one side of the bridge.

Many wore T-shirts in memory of Nash. "R.I.P. CJN," read one. "I love
you, Courtney," read another.

- - -

One wonders if flajim had been swimming in that river earlier...
One of the first things you will be told on The Savannah River is to not
touch the water. They wear rubber gloves when docking or undocking.
You can watch railroad tanker cars being cleaned with steam and the
discharge running down the rocks and into the river a little above the
island and a short ways to the ocean. The water stinks but there is
still fish in it.
The Dolphins won't come much beyond the island. I think it is because of
the pollution. If they knew what they were in I'm sure they wouldn't
come near the river at all.
There are many rivers in bad shape. The one I use to fish, just about
every evening, most of the mussels died at least one year. You could see
what appeared to be marshmallows floating all over the water. It was
dead mussels out of their shells.
I found one big mussel shell and it was paper thin years ago. The
biggest ones now, where there are any are about the size of your thumb.
One year when we came back in there was stuff all over the water. It was
hell cleaning the boat. It was human feces. they found a lot of syringes
and stuff that year. The little nooks and slack areas of the lakes are
full of every conceivable piece of plastic, garbage, old tires, tampons,
and you name it.

Well, I'll have to admit that even with all its problems (including the f**king swans), the
Chesapeake isn't quite that bad.

Herring lets his grandchildren swim in the Potomac, *downstream* from a
major sewage plant.

I remember shortly after they did the "Lady Bird" renovations to Blue
Plains they had the manager on TV and he scooped up a cup of the
effluent water and drank it.
They were saying the water below Blue Plains was cleaner than the
water up stream.

We had a little burst of E-coli coming down the Caloosahatchee last
week but it cleared up

http://esetappsdoh.doh.state.fl.us/i...spx?county=Lee

I do water samples in the Estero River and if people knew the numbers
they wouldn't want to touch it in February when the snowbirds are here

Blue Plains isn't the big problem, unless it floods, which doesn't happen often. The big problem is
the Anacostia.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:37:29 -0400, wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

I suppose it depends on which pollutant you are talking about. If you
are talking about oil from street runoff and industrial pollution I
bet you are right. A lot of those light industrial places in North
East probably do discharge into the storm drains.
I bet those rich folks on the Potomac side are discharging nutrient
rich yard runoff into the storm drains.
When we investigated nutrients, yards were the major source, being
worse that agriculture and golf courses. That is not going to be true
of the chicken farms on the Eastern Shore that discharge tons of
nutrients into the bay.
Florida is far more proactive about that these days, enforcing NPDES
standards on commercial enterprises but residences are immune.

Everything you said and 'people pollution' fills the Anacostia. I don't even like taking my boat up
there because of the filth in and on the water.

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

If I were you, I'd take some pictures, post them, and let all of us send them to Bobo.

The sighting of the RxR tanker cars was two years ago. Anyone taking the
cruise in Savannah can see it.
The other stuff ain't the half of it. When it rains too much upstream
they discharge sewage along with the runoff untreated. Sometimes they do
it anyway. thirty years ago the State was going to make that city clean
up it's act supposedly until the city said they couldn't afford it. They
still expanded the city limits and the sewer system even though the
plant couldn't handle it. Signs were made up to be posted to not eat the
fish and not to swim in the river but the city howled and others that it
would kill tourism. The few signs that went up came down.
One year I had to as well as many others clean sewage from our boat hulls.
They found syringes and hospital waste down river where we launched
about 20 miles. This kind of stuff goes on all over the Country. latest
howl about EPA going too far has some foundation but now you can do
anything there are not enough State pollution staff, so to speak, to
even answer the phone.

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Now it's starting to sound like our Anacostia River, which flows through some not too careful
sections of DC. What a mess, and probably the source of about 90% of the Potomac's pollution. Of
course, I'll be called a racist for whining about it. But, what the hell.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:34:28 -0400, LilAbner wrote:

On 8/16/2011 2:11 PM, X ~ Man wrote:
[...]

Republican water heaven.

**** all those liberals and their clean air and water.