peteg

Default Sprayskirt Glue?

I'm trying to build my own sprayskirt for a whitewater kayak and wondering
if anyone can recommend a glue to attach the bungee to the neoprene. Anyone
have any other tips that might help?

thanks, pete

Michael Daly

On 2-Jan-2004, "peteg" wrote:

recommend a glue to attach the bungee to the neoprene.

Bungies are usually sewn in. I'd be interested in hearing if a glue
will stand up to the abuse of repeated on/off usage.

Mike
Brian Nystrom

Michael Daly wrote:
On 2-Jan-2004, "peteg" wrote:

recommend a glue to attach the bungee to the neoprene.

Bungies are usually sewn in. I'd be interested in hearing if a glue
will stand up to the abuse of repeated on/off usage.

I wouldn't bet my safety on it. A hand stitching awl can be used to sew
bungee to neoprene.

--
Regards

Brian

Bob P

peteg wrote:
I'm trying to build my own sprayskirt for a whitewater kayak and wondering
if anyone can recommend a glue to attach the bungee to the neoprene. Anyone
have any other tips that might help?

thanks, pete

I've been making my own sprayskirts for twenty years. I modified
Walbridge's design a bit, but then I paddle a glass C-1.

Instructions: http://www.wwslalom.org/skirt/index.htm

Brian Nystrom

peteg wrote:
I know the NRS sprayskirts are glues but they use a rubber rand. They are
pretty bomber. Of course, that is a professional glueing job.

That's a somewhat different animal than gluing bungee at home. The
suggestion that others have made about installing the bungee in a tunnel
is a good one.

--
Regards

Brian

Michael Daly

On 4-Jan-2004, ab wrote:

The bungie was actually in a tunnel formed by
folding over the neoprene, with a hole in back where the bungie could
be tied to form a tighter loop

In this case, the glue is not transmitting the stress from the neoprene
to the bungie, it's just holding the hem together.

Mike