Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default how to save $8 trillion

The easy, painless way to save $2T: PEACE

Each one of the following would save up to $1 trillion, or more, over
the next ten years. Guess what? The teabaggers are opposed to all of
them, including the $2T for not fighting any more wars for a while.

$1T: We could let the Bush tax cuts for the rich expire. (“No! No!”
shout the Koch brothers.)

$1T: We could let Medicare negotiate the price of drugs, the way that
the VA and private insurance companies already do.

$1T: We could require the rich to pay the same percentage of their
income toward Social Security and Medicare as the poor and the middle
class do. Not a higher percentage – my God, that would be progressive
taxation! Just the same percentage.

$1T: We could impose the same alternative minimum tax on giant
corporations that we mere humans must pay.

$1T: We could reduce U.S. military spending to a paltry 40% of the
world’s total, from the current 48%, which would still leave us
spending four times as much as any other nation.

$1T: We could make Warren Buffett pay the same tax rate on his income
as his secretary pays on hers, by eliminating the long-term capital
gains tax break, the great majority of which goes to the hyper-rich.

What does a trillion dollars look like? Lu Powell[_7_] General 10 June 30th 09 11:15 PM
7.4 Trillion! 7.4!!!! Charles Momsen ASA 52 November 26th 08 09:06 PM
1+ trillion dollar bailouts redbard ASA 1 September 21st 08 04:12 PM
$7 Trillion on Iraq? HK General 53 March 3rd 08 12:18 AM
Save Yourself, Save a Jew? Calif Bill General 82 March 4th 05 07:30 PM