Ben

Default How late into the fall do you paddle whitewater?

After much debating, I've decided not to paddle tomorrow... A
two-and-a-half hour drive each way, with a forecasted high of about
12C (54F) and possible rain, with the river flowing at the very bottom
end of the guide book's "low" range. It's got me wondering... Do
most WW paddlers keep going till the ice forms, pack it in as soon as
the leaves turn, or what? I'd probably still go if it was closer,
but...

Ben
rick etter

"Ben" wrote in message
m...
After much debating, I've decided not to paddle tomorrow... A
two-and-a-half hour drive each way, with a forecasted high of about
12C (54F) and possible rain, with the river flowing at the very bottom
end of the guide book's "low" range. It's got me wondering... Do
most WW paddlers keep going till the ice forms, pack it in as soon as
the leaves turn, or what? I'd probably still go if it was closer,
but...

Ben

Just returned from the Noire in Quebec last week.(this week would have been
great!) Snowed on us one night/day. Rained all the rest. The weather did
have us portaging/lining some of the rapids that we typically would have run
for a couple of reasons. One, the cold and wet air made drying out if you
dumped somewhat imperative. Plus, the water levels were very high. Much
higher even than when a couple of our members ran it on a spring trip. We
still ran WW, we just made sure it was within the capabilities of every
group member. We will do very late fall trips, where we have had to break
shore ice in the mornings, but we are primarily trippers, not WW fanatics,
so WW isn't really a necessity to us.

Mary Malmros

Depends on the year. Used to be, I'd keep it going but just paddle
less frequently, but now I'm all about skiing once the season
starts (around mid-November).

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros

I'm also in the SE and am able to paddle through out the year. I draw
the line when the air temp drops below freezing though. I'm hoping to
get in alot of paddling this fall and winter since I haven't been able
to boat for two summers.

Richard, if you're reading this, it was nice to finally meet you in
real life.

debra

William R. Watt

people drive two-and-a-half hours for an afternoon of paddling? and here
I am wondering why gasloine is in short supply and prices are high. thanks
a lot.

when I moved to Ottawa I looked around to see what was available locally
in recreational persuits and chose from among them. fortunately we have
plenty of outdoor stuff here, paddling and skiing being two. but hey,
there's always cyling and backpacking and lots of other things. why drive
hundreds of miles for one afternoon of paddling? its just recreation.

I've paddled until mid December. There's always a gap between freeze up
and build up. You can't just stop paddling and start skiing unles you have
some sort of plastic pleasure dome. I mean real skiiing, not that downhill
only stuff on fake snow.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Ben

Well, here's the thing: I live in Edmonton, and the closest
whitewater IS two-and-a-half hours away (Near Rocky Mountain House),
so long drives are part of any WW paddling we do around here. Usually
we try to make a weekend out of it, but one doesn't always feel like
dragging out the camping gear and giving up the whole weekend every
time they feel like paddling, ya know? As for it being "just
recreation"... Well, I think a lot of people would take exception to
your trivialization of recreation! For many of us, it's through
recreation that we achieve real spiritual fulfillment. Anyhows, be
very glad you live in Ottawa... And I'm not even going to start to
describe the seething envy I have for those paddlers who get to paddle
almost year-round!

Ben

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
people drive two-and-a-half hours for an afternoon of paddling? and here
I am wondering why gasloine is in short supply and prices are high. thanks
a lot.

when I moved to Ottawa I looked around to see what was available locally
in recreational persuits and chose from among them. fortunately we have
plenty of outdoor stuff here, paddling and skiing being two. but hey,
there's always cyling and backpacking and lots of other things. why drive
hundreds of miles for one afternoon of paddling? its just recreation.

I've paddled until mid December. There's always a gap between freeze up
and build up. You can't just stop paddling and start skiing unles you have
some sort of plastic pleasure dome. I mean real skiiing, not that downhill
only stuff on fake snow.

William R. Watt

Ben ) writes:

Well, I think a lot of people would take exception to
your trivialization of recreation!

only because its non-productive activity. feeds nobody. houses nobody.
adds nothing of practical use to the body of human knowledge. take away
whitewater paddling, and all non-transprotation paddling, and the world is
no worse off. reintroduce non-transportation paddling and the world is no
better off.

... For many of us, it's through
recreation that we achieve real spiritual fulfillment.

sorry, whitewater paddling is a testoterone thing, not a spiritual thing.
like sex and love. sex only feels like love. for a true spiritually
fullfilling recreational activity I recommend dog walking.

Anyhows, be
very glad you live in Ottawa... And I'm not even going to start to
describe the seething envy I have for those paddlers who get to paddle
almost year-round!

It is hard to be spiritual in the freezing dark while slogging through
knee deep snow. There's something that feels spiritual about sitting by a
warm fire.

I certainly envy Albertans who don't pay provincial tax on gasoline or much of
anything else.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Larry Cable

(William R. Watt)

typed in Message-ID:

Ben ) writes:

Well, I think a lot of people would take exception to
your trivialization of recreation!

only because its non-productive activity. feeds nobody. houses nobody.
adds nothing of practical use to the body of human knowledge. take

way
whitewater paddling, and all non-transprotation paddling, and the world is
no worse off. reintroduce non-transportation paddling and the world is no
better off.

Sorry, I'm productive some 60 hours or so a week, were I am housing people, so
I don't feel guilty about being non-productive
when I paddle. I'm being purposely non-productive. BTW, is there anything
particularly productive about building a wooden boat that some one is going to
recreate in?

sorry, whitewater paddling is a testoterone thing, not a spiritual thing.
like sex and love. sex only feels like love. for a true spiritually
fullfilling recreational activity I recommend dog walking.

You don't paddle whitewater, do you? Isn't that like being celibate and telling
me about sex? WW rivers take you to some of the last truly unspoiled places,
often within in a couple of hours of civilization. And Yes, I like the rush
that WW gives me too.
Don't buy your definition of spirituality, Ghandi.

SYOTR
Larry C.

Whitewater Symposium: teaching the kayak roll and improving your own! Mary Malmros General 1 August 25th 03 12:25 PM
Help, Double Paddle Question CanoeArt General 1 August 9th 03 03:35 AM
FS: Carbon Fiber Kayak Paddle David J. Van den Branden General 6 August 3rd 03 06:21 PM
Whitewater Park Jerry Nolan General 0 July 25th 03 11:05 PM
Paddle length? Michael Daly General 2 July 23rd 03 04:54 PM