rick etter

Default How late into the fall do you paddle whitewater?

"Ben" wrote in message
m...
After much debating, I've decided not to paddle tomorrow... A
two-and-a-half hour drive each way, with a forecasted high of about
12C (54F) and possible rain, with the river flowing at the very bottom
end of the guide book's "low" range. It's got me wondering... Do
most WW paddlers keep going till the ice forms, pack it in as soon as
the leaves turn, or what? I'd probably still go if it was closer,
but...

Ben

Just returned from the Noire in Quebec last week.(this week would have been
great!) Snowed on us one night/day. Rained all the rest. The weather did
have us portaging/lining some of the rapids that we typically would have run
for a couple of reasons. One, the cold and wet air made drying out if you
dumped somewhat imperative. Plus, the water levels were very high. Much
higher even than when a couple of our members ran it on a spring trip. We
still ran WW, we just made sure it was within the capabilities of every
group member. We will do very late fall trips, where we have had to break
shore ice in the mornings, but we are primarily trippers, not WW fanatics,
so WW isn't really a necessity to us.