padeen

Default Stately pleasure domes

Jeesh, three ranger encounters on one trip. Are the terrorists threatening
to dam the Colorado again and the rangers are out in force to uncover the
dastardly plot?

Padeen

"Dave Manby" wrote in message
in October)

Dave,

What canyon? The Grand one on the US side of the pond? Trip report??

peepil

Here is a sort of trip report. As you will work out there was a problem
with language - we had three Americans and at least half a dozen Scots
(Hence a Burns supper either 271 days late or 94 days early) on the
trip.

Explanations if required later!

The moon. The Stars. Hundreds of planes.
Upgrade on the flight out
Hot desert on the way to lees Ferry - and Indian stalls
last supper; what were 4 extras doing there?

Lees ferry campsite
Park ranger passing Whit's old b'aid; failing Andy J's brand new one and
how long could he survive off what was in his belt? And why was Pedro
being so shy?
Hot sun

boats piled to the gunnels (with what turns out to be beer) look more
like prototypes of armoured slave galleys than rafts

Donny has look of, well won't be seeing that equipment again.
Confusion at 1st camp - what order do the buckets go in???

trying to find everything including the "bin ladens"

trying to understand what was being passed off as English stroppy,
grotty, faffiing
'Wash yir hans!"
Dehydration?
Park ranger passes himself off as 'Dept Homeland Security' and tries to
deport Andy J
House rock - 1st big rapid; and helicopter
Good food- not enough cereal, milk

can't believe that REO packed ammo cases full of glass, let alone jars
of glass chilli peppers everyday while later leaving out the two main
ingredients in diet; dessert and coffee
Phantom ranch - green and cool (at least, under the trees)

civilization, phone and poor suckers with a long hard climb out
Horn

Whit takes a bath
Darcey's cooking
Lay over and a play wave - watch the wave change; read a book, hike
Pedro's ringtail traps
Robin - crapper in chief and place man for the groover (and now we all
know why it's called a groover..)
Becky and her clean language
Dry hands and moisturizer

Granite: Andy J places very large deposit in opposition's groover. Well
done Andy!
Stars @ night (and satellites, shootin' stars, planes)
Sand everywhere
Bronwen goes flying on Upset

Bronwen gets upset while flying
Tom and his Earl Grey tea

Andy's deposit later heavily penalized because of missing tea
Dave's cocktails

Dave's thinly disguised whiskey
3 men on a tarp
rattlesnake @ Dubendorff
tarantula @ toe stub camp
Lava!

robin rolls up facing upstream in right side eddy wondering where
groover is
the Burns supper - Darr L and his flying lights

Girls take Grammy after judges discovery that Andy Watts poem was all
created with Scottish-like sounds and not actual words.
Bridget - "I've always had a little bit of Scotland inside me."
The unknown pumpkin man -who wishes to remain anon. (and subsequent
discovery of his props by the park rangers)
Surgeons disappointed that they couldn't operate on Mick's toe
Ice up to the last day--and food, does Donnie eat the leftovers? (no
answer necessary)
Should have had - ceremonial burning old clothes

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at

Wilko

Dave Manby wrote in message ...
in October)

Dave,

What canyon? The Grand one on the US side of the pond? Trip report??

Sorry for not being able to help you out with RBP ongoings Dave, much
to my surprise I've been too busy with work to keep up with all the
forums that I frequented lately (when I was in between projects).

Here is a sort of trip report. As you will work out there was a problem
with language - we had three Americans and at least half a dozen Scots
(Hence a Burns supper either 271 days late or 94 days early) on the
trip.

Explanations if required later!

Ah, that would help, especially since I'm already at a loss for
words...

But... the way you write your trip report, it's easy to turn it into a
very fun story even if you (ehm, i.e. *I*) don't understand half of
what was described, let alone of what really went on during the trip!
;-)

Park ranger passes himself off as 'Dept Homeland Security' and tries to
deport Andy J
House rock - 1st big rapid; and helicopter

Was the helicopter at least black?

Robin - crapper in chief and place man for the groover (and now we all
know why it's called a groover..)

What is a "groover"? From your descriptions it sounds like a kind of
sanitary ditch, but I guess it's a river feature in a rapid somewhere
on th GC?

Granite: Andy J places very large deposit in opposition's groover. Well
done Andy!

?

Wilko (Who's utterly clueless when it comes to Scottish (and quite a
bit of the English language and its idiosyncracies))

http://wilko.webzone.ru
Chris Webster

Wilko wrote:

What is a "groover"? From your descriptions it sounds like a kind of
sanitary ditch, but I guess it's a river feature in a rapid somewhere
on th GC?

It got the name groover from if you didn't have the toilet seat to go on
top.

http://raf.atd.ucar.edu/~chris/groover.jpg

--Chris

Tom

"riverman" wrote in message ...
"Tom" wrote in message
om...
(Tom) wrote in message of the pond? Trip report??

Riverman, didn't you post earlier this year that you were trying to
hook up on a GC trip in June/July? Any luck?

I was lucky enough to spend 19 days in the Grand Canyon in June/July
and wondered how you faired (fared?)?

Hey Tom: thanks for asking.
Nah, didn't even go back to the US this summer. I spent it taking
classes in England, then went to northern Sweden for an 8 day
flyfishing trip. But I'm still dangling feelers for a trip, maybe next
summer.

Never underestimate how easily things you love can drift away. Tie
them down: keep your name on a trip list!

--riverman

I'm a long time lurker here and really enjoy reading your stories.

Take care,
Tom

Hey, thanks a lot, Tom. :-) I'm in the process of thinking about
assimilating them on my webpage, but in truth its more fun to know they are
just out there 'in the ether'. It seems a bit self-grandiose to collect them
on my own website, so I haven't been working at it too hard.

--riverman

(BTW, I'm off to Goma (NE Congo) over christmas, where the war zone is, so
look forward to another Life in Congo tale after the new year...)
Did you do a private? Whose trip was it?

-rm

We did a private trip. Launched June 30, took out at Lake Meade on
July 18. The crew consisted of family and friends. We waited 12
years for the permit, but I got to take my kids with me and we had a
Grand time.

Keep yourself safe in Goma. Nothing like a war zone for the holidays!

Tom
Wilko

Chris Webster wrote in message ...
Wilko wrote:

What is a "groover"? From your descriptions it sounds like a kind of
sanitary ditch, but I guess it's a river feature in a rapid somewhere
on th GC?

It got the name groover from if you didn't have the toilet seat to go on
top.

http://raf.atd.ucar.edu/~chris/groover.jpg

Aha, that explains a lot! Thanks Chris!

(Amazing what old ammo cans are good for! I've seen them used for
waterproof storage of ammo, camera's, food, but never like this! :-) )

--
Wilko van den Bergh
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Wilko

"riverman" wrote:

Hey, thanks a lot, Tom. :-) I'm in the process of thinking about
assimilating them on my webpage, but in truth its more fun to know they are
just out there 'in the ether'. It seems a bit self-grandiose to collect them
on my own website, so I haven't been working at it too hard.

Don't worry Myron, that's not self-grandiose, but instead it's a
service to your loyal readers, who don't have to search themselves
silly to find all episodes.

I've added mine to my website (thanks Andrey!), but most of the people
going there look either at the carnage pictures, the pictures of my
girlfriend or read the paddling gear and trolling pages. So much for
making a site with 450 or so mostly paddling related pictures! ;-)

(BTW, I'm off to Goma (NE Congo) over christmas, where the war zone is, so
look forward to another Life in Congo tale after the new year...)

Cool, more Myron Sized trip reports!

Wilko

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a tdsedo t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.
http://wilko.webzone.ru/

Whitewater Symposium: teaching the kayak roll and improving your own! Mary Malmros General 1 August 25th 03 12:25 PM
Charlotte's whitewater park TB General 0 August 15th 03 11:22 PM
Whitewater Park Jerry Nolan General 0 July 25th 03 11:05 PM