Default Propane canister from hell

Thinking about my wayward dinghy caused me to remember another
wandering object on one of my recent Bahamas trips.
I had finished cooking on the magma grill (spoiled crew demanded warm
mac and cheese) and tried removing the 3/4 full propane canister.
Once removed, it was leaking propane, uh oh. No way this thing is
staying aboard. I cannot leave it on the grill cuz it is choppy and
the grill has to be stowed. After considering various options, I
decided littering was the safest one so I simply threw it overboard
and settled down to do some reading. A bit later, "Thunk, Thunk,
WTF?", I go outside and look down and there's the canister bumping on
the hull so I fished it out with the crab net.
This time, I really heave it far away and go to bed. Yeah, you
guessed right, middle of the night, "Thunk, Thunk", tide had carried
it right back to me.
Realizing I'm gonna have to get serious about this, I pull out the
tide tables and turn on a light eliciting lots of complaints from
sleeping crew but I find the tide will be running out in an hour. So,
I wait up till then and finally get rid of the canister but never did
get back to sleep waiting for the "Thunk, Thunk" again.

On Jun 14, 1:04*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

So now it's a hazzard to innocent sailors!
Why didn't you put a match to it?

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Why didn't you just slowly open it up down wind, let it empty, then
tie it up outside overnight?

In article 20e5fd31-1257-422a-b8a3-35c3ae10a587
@p20g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

That's such a stupid question. You should go back to Harry's new group
so that you don't look so dumb here.

wrote:
[...]

Seems like there would be something. None at all? All night? How about
tying a weight to it and the boat, then opening the valve... it would
sink down current of your boat, bubble along, then you could pull it
back in. I thought boaters were all about creative thinking?

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, take all night to come up with a scheme to get rid of a little
propane gas...... brilliant.

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Progressive "thinkers".. How much weight do you suppose it would take to
sink a half full tank? snerk...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

On Jun 14, 2:30*pm, I_am_Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

People on the west coast have no idea how glassy still the Gulf of
Mexico can get. When holding a leaking canister aboard a boat, time
is critical lest the heavy propane get in your bilge. Even holding it
over the side leaking could be dangerous. In this case, safety takes
precedence over not littering.

In article 4789ce48-54a7-4d7a-8dc5-
,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Bull****. You say above it was choppy, now say glassy.
And chop usually comes with wind, but you say no wind.
Just admit you panicked, littered and created a nav hazard, and lied.
Or simply resign to make it all go away.