North Star North Star is offline

Default Propane canister from hell

On Jun 14, 1:04*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
Thinking about my wayward dinghy caused me to remember another
wandering object on one of my recent Bahamas trips.
I had finished cooking on the magma grill (spoiled crew demanded warm
mac and cheese) and tried removing the 3/4 full propane canister.
Once removed, it was leaking propane, uh oh. *No way this thing is
staying aboard. *I cannot leave it on the grill cuz it is choppy and
the grill has to be stowed. *After considering various options, I
decided littering was the safest one so I simply threw it overboard
and settled down to do some reading. *A bit later, "Thunk, Thunk,
WTF?", I go outside and look down and there's the canister bumping on
the hull so I fished it out with the crab net.
This time, I really heave it far away and go to bed. *Yeah, you
guessed right, middle of the night, "Thunk, Thunk", tide had carried
it right back to me.
Realizing I'm gonna have to get serious about this, I pull out the
tide tables and turn on a light eliciting lots of complaints from
sleeping crew but I find the tide will be running out in an hour. *So,
I wait up till then and finally get rid of the canister but never did
get back to sleep waiting for the "Thunk, Thunk" again.

So now it's a hazzard to innocent sailors!
Why didn't you put a match to it?