Jim Elbrecht

Default Canoe & downriggers

I'm going to be canoe fishing a small lake that is about 100 feet deep
& will probably have lake & rainbow trout suspended.

I've got a downrigger that I bought for a 15' rowboat but never used.
I'm considering hooking it up to my canoe [15' Coleman workhorse].

The weights I have are 5pounders-- I think for what I'm doing [no
fast trolling, and nothing deeper than 100] I should be able to use a
much lighter weight. [8ounces? 1 pound?]

I have a fishfinder but I've been frustrated in the past trying to get
at suspended fish from my canoe. My thoughts/plans are to use the
downrigger to guarantee my depth for some trolling, or to get to depth
for some jigging.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences fishing with a downrigger in a
canoe?

Jim
BRIAN FLAHERTY

I asked my dad if he had any suggestions for you, and this is what he
said.

If hes going to use a downrigger , he should use a 1.5 or 2# pancake
weight . It slides thru the water easier. The transducer should be set up
in the front so he can see " where hes going ".
He could also get away without the rigger if he used 3-way rigs with
Rapalas or thin spoons .Jigs
could also be used , as would live bait on 3 way rigs.

He also mentioned that I should sell my DownEast rod holders, but I
don't wish to sell them. They are great for canoe use because they
clamp to the side of the canoe. Also, the horizontal and vertical
angle of the rod is adjustable. My dad thought you might be able to
use these rod holders instead of downriggers.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Bob

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
I'm going to be canoe fishing a small lake that is about 100 feet deep
& will probably have lake & rainbow trout suspended.

for some jigging.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences fishing with a downrigger in a
canoe?

Jim,

I used to troll for Lake Trout and Landlocked Salmon with my canoe, using a
small downrigger. (I even used a motor mount and a sweet little 2HP Johnson
Colt outboard at times) I'll be darned if I can remember who made it... I
think it might be a Little Jon. Anyway, it had a small two-pound ball and
it worked well. I used Down East rod holders clamped to the thwart (with a
layer of heavy card stock to protect the wood). Don't forget to bring a
large (larger than you think you'll need) net with a fairly long handle, and
a "priest" to quiet any fish you intend to keep.

Good fishing,
Bob Scott

lofting canoe tables in to plans sebastian Boat Building 19 April 6th 12 08:18 PM
FS: Canoe in Baltimore Maryland Marty S. Marketplace 0 December 19th 03 04:20 PM
Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete) Pablo Boat Building 5 October 17th 03 12:33 AM
open canoe asdf Boat Building 8 September 6th 03 04:41 AM
sea nymph canoe HeatMan General 4 August 13th 03 02:21 PM