HeatMan

Default sea nymph canoe

The Sea Nymph canoe I bought second or third (or more?) hand before my 14
year old son was born has a problem. The canoe has 2 floatation
compartments, one in the bow and the other in the stern. I inspected it a
while ago and found the Styrofoam(?) that provides the floatation coming out
in bits and pieces.

I have in the past contacted OMC about what to do and they don't even know
who made the canoe for them all those years ago.

I am planning on taking it out again soon and need to 'refresh' the
floatation before we go back out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step? Someone told me to
shoot expanding foam into the compartments, but I'm not too crazy about that
idea.

If you reply by email, remove Spam block from address.

Thanks.

Rural Knight

"HeatMan" wrote in message
The Sea Nymph canoe I bought second or third (or more?) hand before my 14
year old son was born has a problem. The canoe has 2 floatation
compartments, one in the bow and the other in the stern. I inspected it a
while ago and found the Styrofoam(?) that provides the floatation coming

out
in bits and pieces.

I have in the past contacted OMC about what to do and they don't even know
who made the canoe for them all those years ago.

I am planning on taking it out again soon and need to 'refresh' the
floatation before we go back out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step? Someone told me to
shoot expanding foam into the compartments, but I'm not too crazy about

that
idea.

That's pretty much all you can do other can cut some styrofoam
to fit.

Later,

Tom

noah

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:08:27 -0400, "HeatMan"
wrote:

The Sea Nymph canoe I bought second or third (or more?) hand before my 14
year old son was born has a problem. The canoe has 2 floatation
compartments, one in the bow and the other in the stern. I inspected it a
while ago and found the Styrofoam(?) that provides the floatation coming out
in bits and pieces.

I have in the past contacted OMC about what to do and they don't even know
who made the canoe for them all those years ago.

I am planning on taking it out again soon and need to 'refresh' the
floatation before we go back out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step? Someone told me to
shoot expanding foam into the compartments, but I'm not too crazy about that
idea.

If you reply by email, remove Spam block from address.

Thanks.

I agree with RK, just make sure that you use a "closed cell" foam
product. They're not all the same. Look for "waterproof", or "closed
cell" on the label, or ask the guy in your local hardware. I would
avoid the latex foam.

Don't overdo the foam, it expands quite a bit.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
HeatMan

"Rural Knight" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"HeatMan" wrote in message
[...]

If I do that, I'll have to figure out how to remove the bulkheads.

DSK

HeatMan wrote:

The Sea Nymph canoe I bought second or third (or more?) hand before my 14
year old son was born has a problem. The canoe has 2 floatation
compartments, one in the bow and the other in the stern. I inspected it a
while ago and found the Styrofoam(?) that provides the floatation coming out
in bits and pieces.

If you can measure the right amount of expanding foam to put in, that's the best
answer. However, it would only be a little more work and more sure result to
remove the bulkheads, put in a block (or cut sheets) of closed cel foam, and
then refiberglass the bulkhead into place.

Another option is to cut out the bulkhead and put in flotation air bags. I have
done this with a few small boats, they are less expensive than the right kind of
foam plus the fiberglass, lighter, and can be removed easily for
repairs/maintenance.

Fresh Breezes... or paddles... whatever
Doug King