Default best way to restore boat gel coat shine

Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:22:45 -0400, Florida Jim
wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?

Bob, this article may be of help.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/01.htm

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?

Yes. this id temporary fix. It might last 2 weeks or a month.

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

Not recommended.....

... it is the same philosophy as using kerosene or diesel oil on OD
green or..... running a wet patch through a dirty rifle barrel.

...doesn't do the job, just makes it look like you did...

Bob wasn't interested in prepping his boat properly, so he needs to
cheat to give the hull a temporary shine.

On May 31, 5:21*pm, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

On 6/1/2011 7:59 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 31, 5:21 pm, wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

The boat is already in the water. What you suggest is good but the boat
needs to be on the hard to do a good job of it.

On Jun 1, 10:05*am, Florida Jim wrote:
On 6/1/2011 7:59 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: On May 31, 5:21 pm, *wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. *Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. *Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

The boat is already in the water. *What you suggest is good but the boat
needs to be on the hard to do a good job of it.

No it doesn't. Just run it in some shallow water and work on it.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all
Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

Not recommended.....

... it is the same philosophy as using kerosene or diesel oil on OD
green or..... running a wet patch through a dirty rifle barrel.

...doesn't do the job, just makes it look like you did...

Bob wasn't interested in prepping his boat properly, so he needs to
cheat to give the hull a temporary shine.

Modern conservatism.

gel-coat Blazer Fan Dan General 9 November 1st 05 07:00 AM
Gel Coat , Clear Coat or 2 Part Epoxy??? JD General 3 May 17th 04 04:25 PM
How to protect the gel-coat djb General 3 May 13th 04 04:13 AM
filling holes - matching color / shine on gel coat? [email protected] General 2 February 13th 04 12:15 AM
Gel coat replacement? Brian McAloon ASA 21 November 7th 03 02:43 AM