BoatBanter.com

-   -   best way to restore boat gel coat shine (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/131865-best-way-restore-boat-gel-coat-shine.html)

wf3h[_2_] May 31st 11 10:21 PM

best way to restore boat gel coat shine

Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Florida Jim May 31st 11 11:22 PM

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

wf3h[_2_] May 31st 11 11:51 PM

best way to restore boat gel coat shine

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:22:45 -0400, Florida Jim
wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?

Tim May 31st 11 11:53 PM

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?

Bob, this article may be of help.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/01.htm

Florida Jim June 1st 11 12:10 AM

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

interesting. never heard of it being used for this...just a little
wipe to take off the chalk?

Yes. this id temporary fix. It might last 2 weeks or a month.

Florida Jim June 1st 11 02:50 AM

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

Not recommended.....

... it is the same philosophy as using kerosene or diesel oil on OD
green or..... running a wet patch through a dirty rifle barrel.

...doesn't do the job, just makes it look like you did...

Bob wasn't interested in prepping his boat properly, so he needs to
cheat to give the hull a temporary shine.

jamesgangnc[_2_] June 1st 11 12:59 PM

On May 31, 5:21*pm, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

Florida Jim June 1st 11 03:05 PM

On 6/1/2011 7:59 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 31, 5:21 pm, wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

The boat is already in the water. What you suggest is good but the boat
needs to be on the hard to do a good job of it.

jamesgangnc[_2_] June 1st 11 05:50 PM

On Jun 1, 10:05*am, Florida Jim wrote:
On 6/1/2011 7:59 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: On May 31, 5:21 pm, *wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all

You need to get the damaged gelcoat off first. *Any decent polishing
compound and some elbow grease. *Follow with wax. If you keep it waxed
with a good wax that will reduce the future chalking.

The boat is already in the water. *What you suggest is good but the boat
needs to be on the hard to do a good job of it.

No it doesn't. Just run it in some shallow water and work on it.

jps June 1st 11 06:39 PM

best way to restore boat gel coat shine

wrote:

On 5/31/2011 5:21 PM, wf3h wrote:
Got my old boat in the water, so waxing the hull is out. but i'd like
to polish up the areas i can reach. there's a bit of chalk on the
coat, so what's the best way to get a good, protective shine? thanks
all
Kerosene. Be careful. Don't let it drip into the water or you will have
visitors.

Not recommended.....

... it is the same philosophy as using kerosene or diesel oil on OD
green or..... running a wet patch through a dirty rifle barrel.

...doesn't do the job, just makes it look like you did...

Bob wasn't interested in prepping his boat properly, so he needs to
cheat to give the hull a temporary shine.

Modern conservatism.