Default A BIG choice to make...

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:56:55 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

People who spend half their year cruising on a posh 50' yacht are
neither middle income nor middle class.

Nonsense. Who says that the middle class can't retire comfortably?

For what it's worth, private banks and other high end investment
management firms now define "wealthy" as those with a net worth over
$5 million, and that's the lower tier. Their top tier clients
generally are over $20m. I know a few people who qualify but not too
many.

wrote:

People who spend half their year cruising on a posh 50' yacht are
neither middle income nor middle class.

Nonsense. Who says that the middle class can't retire comfortably?

For what it's worth, private banks and other high end investment
management firms now define "wealthy" as those with a net worth over
$5 million, and that's the lower tier. Their top tier clients
generally are over $20m. I know a few people who qualify but not too
many.

Now I know what you use to keep your boat afloat, w'hine. It's your
delusional bull****.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:53:30 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:37:47 -0700,
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:09:56 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:54:24 -0700,
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:17:24 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:50:12 -0700,
wrote:

Two refrigeration systems... I'm so glad you're middle class!

Sweat equity my poor confused woman, very middle class. The truly
wealthy call someone up and get it done for them. Installing it
themselves would interfere with tennis lessons or the bridge game.

Your turn: Define middle class.

It's shrinking. Sweat equity has nothing to do with it. Lots of people
in the lower socio-economic level work very hard and try and save.

Many people in the middle class take tennis lessons and play bridge.

It used to be that middle class was defined by relatively stable
economic situations, but more and more people are losing their homes
and going hungry even. You may not be "truly wealthy," but you're
certainly not in the middle. Someone who has a boat they use as a
second, vacation home and travel around, seemingly endlessly, someone
who has two fridges on their boat for God Sake, isn't really middle
class, at least not compared to the vast majority of people.

You are one of the people who told me "middle class" was $100k, or was
it $125k and above when I asked the question.

What's that got to do with Wayne pimping his huge trawler as his
second home?

You're now claiming middle class doesn't include those who make
$100K/yr?

I have not even tried to define middle class but there seem to be a
lot of people here who claim to know.
They all seem to be destitute if I believe you and Bob.

Please show me where I said "all" middle class people are destitute.
You can't. I said that the middle class is shrinking and is having
problems. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your rhetoric.

wrote:

People who spend half their year cruising on a posh 50' yacht are
neither middle income nor middle class.

Nonsense. Who says that the middle class can't retire comfortably?

For what it's worth, private banks and other high end investment
management firms now define "wealthy" as those with a net worth over
$5 million, and that's the lower tier. Their top tier clients
generally are over $20m. I know a few people who qualify but not too
many.

Now I know what you use to keep your boat afloat, w'hine. It's your
delusional bull****.

You don't have to take my word for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_banking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_net_worth_individual

Those numbers are a bit out of date although somewhere in the
ballpark.

I worked for a well known private bank back in the early 90s. At
that time they had two tiers of "high net worth" (wealthy) clients.
Tier 1 was $1m to $10m, Tier 2 was $10m and over. That has since been
changed, now ranging from $5m to $20m at Tier 1, and Tier 2 is now
over $20m. Make some calls if you'd like. They'll be happy to talk
if you qualify. I don't, but still know people who work there. Let
me know if you need a reference.

In article ,
says...

"Harryk" wrote in message
m...

Califbill wrote:
"Harryk" wrote in message

John H wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:09:00 -0700,
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:00:58 -0700,

wrote:

"Wayne B" wrote in message

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:34:15 -0400, John
wrote:

Sure am glad I chose golf. Looks like I'm the only one who had a great
time!
I've been working on the boats. That's always fun when it's
finished.

Reply:
I was going to bring the boat home and work on it, but the nice weather
changed. A little rain already. Need to weld up some old holes drilled
for
removed stuff, and get it ready to repaint. Buddy wants to go kayak,
but
he
is fighting a cold.
We had another dummy go kayaking above the rapids in the Potomac today.
Luckily, she got extracted
before she got killed.

http://tinyurl.com/3cds3up

Reply:
Saw that on the news this morning while at the gym. She should be
made to
reimburse all costs of rescue with maybe a 20% PREMIUM.

Agreed.

What is your feeling about parents who allow their children to race
motorcycles?

Reply:
No problem. Is the taxpayer paying for the endeavor? Someone goes out in
a flooding river in a kayak and needs to be rescued, they should have to
pay the tab. I run white water rivers. When one of us types screw up, we
or the insurance we pay for has to recover the boat. Is not the local
emergency responders that do the recovery.

Who recovers *you* if you fall into the water? And are you claiming that
your insurance claim is not shared with everyone else when their
premiums go up to cover your losses?

Reply:
Another boater would rescue me. I would be dead before the local responders
arrived. The insurance rate is calculated on losses for the type of boat.
Probably less loss on our boats per boat than the local Chesapeake boaters.
Seems as if you guys are getting insurance to pay for new motors, etc.

Harry's never heard of actuaries!

Here's your chance to make it big, froggy! H the K General 0 August 11th 09 12:04 PM
A Choice to make! John H[_8_] General 2 January 26th 09 06:38 PM
Still a big demand for big $$$ boating..... Chuck Gould General 22 May 18th 07 12:59 PM
Rules of the road: Big wins in Big vs Small John Reimer General 4 February 28th 07 03:43 PM
Big, really big, really, really big! and kinda off topic too..... *JimH* General 4 October 3rd 05 09:50 PM