Default What a weekend!

On Mar 22, 9:58*am, Harryk wrote:
Jack. wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:37 am, *wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:46 pm, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:32:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:30 pm, Boating All *wrote:
Yep, When a friend of mine got out of the service in '76, he decided
he wasn't going to fool around with buying a cheap stereo and upgrade/
replacing as the time went by so he bit it and spend a crap load of
cash.
At the time he had a 200w. McIntosh MC2205 amplifier,a Technics
Quadraphonic receiver, an Italian made *Leesavox turntable,and 4 *cone
drivers *(Ohm"F" models.) *if i remember correctly he said those
speakers were about $400.00 each in 1973 or 74 ( I can't remember).
For the day it seemed beyond fantastic.
I still have a pair of those big honking Sansui 1970's disco speakers..
Everyone keeps trying to say these new book shelf speakers are as
good, until I crank them up.
I have them out in the Tiki bar now and they are enough to fill the
whole pool deck with big old thumping sound. I do try to be sensitive
to my neighbors but most of them will be back in Michigan in a couple
of weeks anyway.
"There's no replacement for displacement"

I've been looking around for some speaker for my shop, and would like
to find a set of those, or something similar. *They do pop up at times
on craigslist. *I have a late 70's Yamaha integrated amp and matching
tuner that I'll use to drive them.

Having said that, some of those "bookshelf" speaker systems can be
*very* nice sounding. *The displacement thing goes away when you add a
subwoofer to the equation. *I'm running a set of NHT speakers as mains
in the surround setup in the den. *They are small, but Audiophile
magazine rated them class C, borderline class B speaker. *They sound
better than many speakers that are 4 times the size and cost twice as
much, or more, and are wife-friendly. *A friend with $10k worth of
Aragon amps and Magnapans always raves about how great the NHTs are.

I love my magnaplanars! *

I never really cared for them. While they have a very open soundstage
and are great for opera, orchestra and light jazz or chamber music,
they have too many negatives otherwise.

They are typically thin sounding and lack punch for other musical
genres, are very particular about placement, absolutely require high-
current amplifier designs for any mid to low end tightness (usually bi-
amped), and are big and delicate. You pretty much have to have a
dedicated listening room to set them up properly, or they take over
the room they are in. They can't be shoved into a corner or back up
against a wall as much as other designs will allow. Back in the day
DQ-10s were a better choice, and a more modern day speaker choice
would have to be Vandersteens, say the 2Ce or pop for the 3a.

Jack. wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:58 am, wrote:
Jack. wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's pretty much my musical choices: opera, orchestra, folk, chamber
music, blues, small jazz groups and "rock" groups like the Eagles. I've
got a good subwoofer wired in, too. My NAD amp is not a superpowered
model, maybe 125/150 watts a channel. Good clean sound, without any of
the surround sound multi-channel gimmicks that do not give a going to
the concert sort of experience.

Come on weekend! Tim General 7 February 10th 11 07:12 AM
Another weekend hk General 2 May 31st 10 04:39 AM
so how was your weekend? wf3h General 22 September 12th 09 03:44 AM
This weekend.... Bobsprit ASA 6 June 30th 04 02:13 AM
What a Weekend!!! Bobsprit ASA 8 September 8th 03 01:47 PM