Gfretwell

Default 40-50-60 Merc 4 stroke stories?

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see a few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?
Harry Krause

Gfretwell wrote:

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see a few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Hey, I've got a Yamaha F225 and got a recall notice in the mail today.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Dan J.S.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Gfretwell wrote:

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It

still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see

a few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Hey, I've got a Yamaha F225 and got a recall notice in the mail today.

Yeah but it will last you forever. Merc doesn't know what recall means. They
probably do not think the engine will last long enough for the mailer to
actually get to you...

Bill Kiene

Hi Greg,

I have a new 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha but I only have about 20 hours on mine so
far.

I believe that Yamaha has been making the power heads for the Mercury 4
strokes (9.9 to 115hp) for some time now . I believe Merc does build their
own lower ends though.

Mercury has introduced fuel injection on many 4 stroke models: 30, 40, 50,
60 & 115hp

Yamaha has FI on only a few 4 strokes like the 115, 200 & 225hp.

Funny, my new 40hp is machined to accept the FI but is still carbureted.

Having a good dealer near by for your brand of motor, weight and now FI are
all factors in choosing a 4 stroke outboard.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Gfretwell" wrote in message

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see a

few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Rich Stern

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see a few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Same motor, 60 hours, running good. Not seeing the oil (or gas) in the water
problem any more.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Gfretwell

Same motor, 60 hours, running good. Not seeing the oil (or gas) in the water
problem any more.

Did you have the seal problem?

Harry Krause

Dan Krueger wrote:

What was the recall for?

Dan

Harry Krause wrote:
Gfretwell wrote:

I have a 60 and I am coming up on 500 hours with no big problems. It still
"makes oil" and I may have the "leaking crankshaft seal" problem. I see a few
drops of oil on the water occasionally when I put it in.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Hey, I've got a Yamaha F225 and got a recall notice in the mail today.

It's to replace throttle linkage bushings. I got an advisory letter on
thie a few weeks ago, but this was a safety recall notice. Effects
"certain" 2002-2004 F225 and F200 engines. Some of these engines have
bushings that create "excessive drag" when returning the throttle to
idle after running at cruising speeds.

I haven't had this problem, but the recall is for ALL engines in the
named categories. I'll have it done when the dealer winterizes the
engine for me.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Rich Stern

Same motor, 60 hours, running good. Not seeing the oil (or gas) in the
water
problem any more.

Did you have the seal problem?

Err, umm, what seal problem?

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Gfretwell

Did you have the seal problem?

Err, umm, what seal problem?

I have heard 2 stories here about leaking crankshaft seals on these motors and
I suspect I may have one. I am still not adding oil between changes, but it
makes oil ;-)

Suzuki 140 hp 4 stroke PMusto General 1 August 27th 03 04:19 PM
V8 260 Merc Engine Help [email protected] General 0 August 24th 03 12:20 PM
Honda 4 stroke engines Dan General 11 August 13th 03 02:25 PM
Merc outboard leaks oil Ty General 0 July 24th 03 09:05 PM
Timing Merc 350 MAG MPI Craig Gunther General 2 July 22nd 03 08:21 PM