Craig Gunther

Default Timing Merc 350 MAG MPI

I suspect the timing is off on my 350 MAG MPI. It is supposed to be at
8*BTDC @ idle (600 rpm). My timing light shows it's off by about 2-4*,
but it keeps jumping around while the engine idles. I also hear what
sounds like slight detonation problems.

The Merc manual says a special procedure must be followed to adjust the
timing. I have read other places on the web that this "special
procedure" is just to pull all the plugs and crank the engine - this
won't let it start. I then set the timing while the plugs are out and
I'm cranking the engine. Has anyone here actually timed one of these
engines? Any advice? Is this the correct procedure?

Also, how the !@#$ do I get in to loosen the 9/16 bolt that clamps the
distributor in place? It's a bear to get to with all the cables and
linkage in the way. The 2000 motor sits in a 1991 (repowered) Mariah
MX-20, a little ways back under the rear deck. It's lots of fun to get
to.

Life used to be so much simpler without all this fancy computerized
ignition :-)

Craig

Calif Bill

There is probably a wire to disconnect. That way on cars. As to the
distributor, there are tools made to loosen the hold down. Is C shaped and
has a closed end wrench on each end, for different size bolts.
Bill

"Craig Gunther" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Meredith

The boat(computer) needs to be put in base timing mode. To do this you
either need to have a Merc scan tool that can tell it to do it, or Merc
sells for about $10, a plug that jumps the 2 correct wires. This plug
gets put on the computer connector that should be on your port exhaust
manifold riser. Then the timing won't jump around, and you can set it
where it belongs.

The best way I know to get the dist bolt loose, if stuff is in the way,
is to buy the dist wrench from any auto parts store. A bunch of
different shapes are available, but they are usually shaped like a "U"
with the rounded part being flat. You can probably also get in there
with a crows foot.

[...]

SOS- Merc Alpha stuck-Problem solved. George Adamovich General 0 July 20th 03 02:22 AM
Merc dies shifting into reverse - help plz LeeC General 2 July 15th 03 02:23 PM
1985 Merc outboard Help! Jason General 7 July 13th 03 07:59 PM
Timing on Mercury Mark 58A [for a friend] Ignoramus14756 General 2 July 13th 03 01:39 AM