Default Not enough info to figure this one out

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...5-ef95f7b033c7
A sad fishing accident.
Hey, at least it is boating so lets discuss it instead of spoofing.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 12, 8:37*pm, Frogwatch wrote:

Hey, at least it is boating so lets discuss it instead of spoofing.

Yes-s-s-s-s!

Gene wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:37:04 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...5-ef95f7b033c7
A sad fishing accident.
Hey, at least it is boating so lets discuss it instead of spoofing.

"...their twin-engine boat's motor went out an hour later..."

Huh?

They took on water. Both were probably submerged.

Perfect reason to have an EPIRB (if you can afford one) or at least a
submersible VHF handheld.

wrote:

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...5-ef95f7b033c7
A sad fishing accident.
Hey, at least it is boating so lets discuss it instead of spoofing.

"...their twin-engine boat's motor went out an hour later..."

Huh?

They took on water. Both were probably submerged.

Perfect reason to have an EPIRB (if you can afford one) or at least a
submersible VHF handheld.

There's something in the news report that doesn't make sense regarding
the twin engines. It's possible that they did have twins but both
failed due to bad fuel, lack of fuel or a clogged filter. You really
need separate tanks and filters to get the full reliability of twin
engines.

A hand held VHF radio has a very short range, especially if being used
in the water. My estimate would a maximum of 3 miles, most likely
less.

EPIRBs are good but have several issues. Cost is coming down but
still in the $600 range. They also require federal registration and
periodic renewal/update. The big issue however is response time. It
will take at least an hour or two before search assets are deployed,
probably longer. That is too long if you're in cold water offshore.

Last but not least are sea conditions and boat handling. Were they
out in unsuitable conditions for the boat? Given the outcome, almost
certainly. There was no mention of boat size so we can only guess.

wrote:

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...5-ef95f7b033c7
A sad fishing accident.
Hey, at least it is boating so lets discuss it instead of spoofing.

"...their twin-engine boat's motor went out an hour later..."

Huh?

They took on water. Both were probably submerged.

That is kinda, my point.... It appears that they were as little as
three miles off shore and that the waves and wind were negligible.
Losing multiple engines usually means fuel, but in this case, since
they took on water and sank without appreciable wave action.... I
don't think they lost engines then took on water, I think just the
opposite occurred...

Perfect reason to have an EPIRB (if you can afford one) or at least a
submersible VHF handheld.

I was surprised by the water temperature... looks to be no better than
the mid 40's. Personally, I'd like to have some sort of clothing to
fight the cold (water) in that case...

Personal EPIRBs are, now, under $200..... you almost can't afford to
be without one....

I would never discourage anyone from carrying a VHS radio... but due
to their line-of-sight method of communication, if you are in the
water you have a VERY limited transmission radio. There are
exceptions. I am lucky enough to have a USCG station radio antenna at
about 200' height in the sand over the river, AICW, and ocean...
exactly where I boat. If you have a similar circumstance, it makes the
VHS a lot more reliable...

Within the last two weeks, several guys on a 21-footer died when their
boat capsized in four foot waves maybe 200 yards offshore, near the
Calvert Nuke Plant. The water temp was just above freezing. You have to
be really stupid to go out in a boat that small when the wind is kicking
up four footers, especially so in the middle of winter.

We don't typically have "sudden-onset tostitos" here. It probably was
pretty choppy when they set out and got worse. When it did, they could
have easily ran the boat to shore. The bottom there is sandy and they
could have beached their boat and waited it out.

[...]

Good points but an EPIRB can be rented from Boat US, and others I'm sure.

wrote:

[...]

I looked this one up before. It's surprising how short the effective
distance of VHF is before the horizon is a factor. Your 200' antenna
will reach only 17 miles. Two eight-foot antennae will only transmit
about miles.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:24:16 -0500, L G wrote:

EPIRBs are good but have several issues. Cost is coming down but
still in the $600 range. They also require federal registration and
periodic renewal/update. The big issue however is response time. It
will take at least an hour or two before search assets are deployed,
probably longer. That is too long if you're in cold water offshore.

Last but not least are sea conditions and boat handling. Were they
out in unsuitable conditions for the boat? Given the outcome, almost
certainly. There was no mention of boat size so we can only guess.

Good points but an EPIRB can be rented from Boat US, and others I'm sure.

How many of your fishing buddies will go down to Boat US and rent an
EPIRB everytime they want to go fishing a few miles out?

An even bigger issue is response time. There is a whole chain of
procedures that are followed when an EPIRB alert is received. This
is done to verify ownership and registration of the unit, and attempt
to ascertain if the alert is likely to be genuine. If you are lucky,
the unit is properly registered, and if a USCG rescue asset is nearby,
they might get to you in an hour or two. That's OK if you're sitting
in a life raft or dressed in an immersion suit but not if you are in
cold water with no protection.

The real problem is that guys get in over their head with conditions
not suitable for the boat, or in a boat that is not well
prepared/operated.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:46:45 -0500, Gene
wrote:

I looked this one up before. It's surprising how short the effective
distance of VHF is before the horizon is a factor. Your 200' antenna
will reach only 17 miles. Two eight-foot antennae will only transmit
about miles.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Hmmmm.... depends.

Assuming I haven't sunk, I should be able to get out about 25
miles.... to the local USCG station.

Two 8' antennae will transmit about 8 miles.

One sea level antenna transmitting to my boat would reach about 5
miles...

None of those are particularly inspiring with respect to a solid sense
of safety....

Here is a better calculator...

My personal experience with a variety of VHF hand held radios is that
they are rarely good for more than a couple of miles except under
ideal conditions. Those little rubber ducky antennas are *very*
inefficient.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/u...10156-2b74-459...

http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/distance.html

--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are
enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
*http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Forté Agent 6.00 Build 1186

Two 8' antennae will transmit about 8 miles.

I have ONE 8 footer on the Boat, and can transmit a lot farther than
that.