Default Back from Paradise

On Jan 10, 12:59*pm, "Paul@BYC" wrote:
Just in time for another snowstorm, probably.

There were nearly 2000 unread messages in rec.boats when I "logged in"
here. It's a new year, and I'm going to leave them unread.

So, anyone boating or fishing?

:)

Yes, on our way to the FL Keys, no fishing yet but brought 3 trolling
rods with us and a bunch of lures. We're anchored tonight in the
wilderness area near Everglades City. Tomorrow we'll probably end up
in the Little Shark River, well back in the 'glades with no internet,
no cell service, no marine VHF coverage, no nada. It's a beautiful
area but not a good place to get in trouble. Three or four years ago
we had to rescue a guy in a fair sized flats boat who was stranded out
there in the boondocks with an engine that would not start.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 10, 11:59*am, "Paul@BYC" wrote:
Just in time for another snowstorm, probably.

There were nearly 2000 unread messages in rec.boats when I "logged in"
here. It's a new year, and I'm going to leave them unread.

So, anyone boating or fishing?

:)

No, but i'm working out the plans to remodel mine...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...047?scoring=d&

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Jan 10, 12:59 pm, "Paul@BYC" wrote:
Just in time for another snowstorm, probably.

There were nearly 2000 unread messages in rec.boats when I "logged in"
here. It's a new year, and I'm going to leave them unread.

So, anyone boating or fishing?

:)

Yes, on our way to the FL Keys, no fishing yet but brought 3 trolling
rods with us and a bunch of lures. We're anchored tonight in the
wilderness area near Everglades City. Tomorrow we'll probably end up
in the Little Shark River, well back in the 'glades with no internet,
no cell service, no marine VHF coverage, no nada. It's a beautiful
area but not a good place to get in trouble. Three or four years ago
we had to rescue a guy in a fair sized flats boat who was stranded out
there in the boondocks with an engine that would not start.

Reply:

Sounds nice. We are planning a trip to San Pedro, Belize and Caye Caulker.
Any recommendations for lodging? Looking hard at the Sunbreeze in San
Pedro.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 10, 4:46*pm, "Wayne.B" wrote:
On Jan 10, 12:59*pm, "Paul@BYC" wrote:

Just in time for another snowstorm, probably.

There were nearly 2000 unread messages in rec.boats when I "logged in"
here. It's a new year, and I'm going to leave them unread.

So, anyone boating or fishing?

:)

Yes, on our way to the FL Keys, no fishing yet but brought 3 trolling
rods with us and a bunch of lures. *We're anchored tonight in the
wilderness area near Everglades City. *Tomorrow we'll probably end up
in the Little Shark River, well back in the 'glades with no internet,
no cell service, no marine VHF coverage, no nada. *It's a beautiful
area but not a good place to get in trouble. *Three or four years ago
we had to rescue a guy in a fair sized flats boat who was stranded out
there in the boondocks with an engine that would not start.

Wayne, can you still use short wave?

On Jan 10, 9:37*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:46*pm, "Wayne.B" wrote:

On Jan 10, 12:59*pm, "Paul@BYC" wrote:

Just in time for another snowstorm, probably.

There were nearly 2000 unread messages in rec.boats when I "logged in"
here. It's a new year, and I'm going to leave them unread.

So, anyone boating or fishing?

:)

Yes, on our way to the FL Keys, no fishing yet but brought 3 trolling
rods with us and a bunch of lures. *We're anchored tonight in the
wilderness area near Everglades City. *Tomorrow we'll probably end up
in the Little Shark River, well back in the 'glades with no internet,
no cell service, no marine VHF coverage, no nada. *It's a beautiful
area but not a good place to get in trouble. *Three or four years ago
we had to rescue a guy in a fair sized flats boat who was stranded out
there in the boondocks with an engine that would not start.

Wayne, can you still use short wave?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, HF SSB radio works just about everywhere but it is not as
convenient for short range communication as marine VHF. Another
alternative is satellite telephone such as the Iridium system. For
most people a sat phone would be the smallest/easiest solution for
communication in remote areas.

On 1/11/2011 7:59 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:37 pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:46 pm, wrote:

On Jan 10, 12:59 pm, wrote:

[...]

Out on the mighty Lake Zoar, we use ordinary cell phones. It's not a
very big lake. :)

Out on the even more mighty Long Island Sound, though, it's not
difficult to get out of range of VHF. About 10-12 miles out and it is
sometimes hard to raise shore stations, although you can raise the Coast
Guard with its big towers. Must be that line of sight thing.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 11, 6:59*am, "Wayne.B" wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:37*pm, Tim wrote:

On Jan 10, 4:46*pm, "Wayne.B" wrote:

[...]

Well, in the everglades, maybe you need a CB.

Redneck Paradise Frogwatch[_2_] General 10 June 4th 09 11:19 AM
The Way to Paradise algagaa General 14 January 30th 08 03:42 PM
The Way to Paradise algagaa Cruising 2 January 29th 08 01:04 PM
New Paradise! SUZY ASA 0 May 8th 06 07:23 PM
Back in Paradise Lady Sailor ASA 4 April 13th 04 01:50 AM