noah

Default Virus alert-UPDATE

As Stig Arne Bye mentioned it is the W32/swen@mm virus.

It is nastier (for us) than the run of the mill worm.
In addition to harvesting address books, it has an NNTP function to
harvest addy's from any newsgroup visited by the infectee.
If you've posted *anywhere*, with a valid addy, you could be targeted.

For more info:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Update your AV software, folks, and munge your email addy.
If we want to yell at you that bad, we'll figure it out. )

....carry on. )
noah
Gerald Simons

Thanks for heads-up. Out of curiousity, when did people start getting
plagued by viruses? Back in the early/mid 90s when frequenting the
likes of the CompuServe sailing forums, I can't recall any problems at
all. Was it about the time the computer went from being a luxury item
to a necessity and with it, going in the hands of the masses? Of
course, back then purchasing memory cost me hundreds of dollars which
now is a smidgen of the price so some good has come out of more people
with computers, but that's about the only plus its created.

noah wrote in message . ..
As Stig Arne Bye mentioned it is the W32/swen@mm virus.

It is nastier (for us) than the run of the mill worm.
In addition to harvesting address books, it has an NNTP function to
harvest addy's from any newsgroup visited by the infectee.
If you've posted *anywhere*, with a valid addy, you could be targeted.

For more info:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Update your AV software, folks, and munge your email addy.
If we want to yell at you that bad, we'll figure it out. )

...carry on. )
noah

Dan Krueger

I've been fighting this thing for almost a week. I still get an email about
ever 20 minutes. After all of these years I finally have to change my email
address as it's posted.

Regards,
Dan

noah wrote:

As Stig Arne Bye mentioned it is the W32/swen@mm virus.

It is nastier (for us) than the run of the mill worm.
In addition to harvesting address books, it has an NNTP function to
harvest addy's from any newsgroup visited by the infectee.
If you've posted *anywhere*, with a valid addy, you could be targeted.

For more info:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Update your AV software, folks, and munge your email addy.
If we want to yell at you that bad, we'll figure it out. )

...carry on. )
noah

noah

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:36:29 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

I've been fighting this thing for almost a week. I still get an email about
ever 20 minutes. After all of these years I finally have to change my email
address as it's posted.

Regards,
Dan

I know what you mean, Dan.

I always preferred to post with an "unmunged" addy, but that's not an
option anymore. I may have to change the addy altogether, since it's
already been harvested.

I'm going to wait a bit, and see if this thing settles down.

I just crunched 60 virus emails, all received in the last 6 hours.
(

Regards,

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.
John Gaquin

I had about 3-6 per day for about a week, then about 100 per day at the end
of the past week, but yesterday and today it has dropped to near zero. I've
taken no particular action other than the NAV live-update feature.

Has anyone else seen a drop-off?

Are we seeing the self-destruct?

JG

thunder

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:51:35 -0500, Keith wrote:

Think so... I haven't received any since about noon today.

Your ISP is probably filtering them.
noah

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:46:57 GMT, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

I had about 3-6 per day for about a week, then about 100 per day at the end
of the past week, but yesterday and today it has dropped to near zero. I've
taken no particular action other than the NAV live-update feature.

Has anyone else seen a drop-off?

Are we seeing the self-destruct?

JG

As "thunder" pointed out, ISP's are filtering now. Earthlink filtered
several hundred that I didn't have to deal with.

Be aware that if anyone changes the size or subject lines of the
virus, it can re-emerge.

I "munged" my email address, as I expect there will be more to come.

Regards,

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

thunder

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:37:55 +0000, Capt. Frank Hopkins wrote:

Hi Noah,
For the benefit of an old salt water sailor, what is munged?

Changing it so the harvesters read a different address. Some people get
rather elaborate, but works. To use the address
you have to remove the capital letters. Or, as Noah says, to use his, you
must remove the FISH from the net.