Default Almost ready to go

We are going to go from Ft Lauderdale to Freeport on the MV Discovery
(on 12/26) because it is much cheaper than flying to Freeport. There,
we will get on our 28' sailboat and sail around mostly to take the
family snorkelling at Peterson Cay. We will will return on the 30th
to spend New Years with wifes family. Then, I meet my caving friends
and we go back again on the MV Discovery to Freeport. We will sail to
West End, Great Sale Cay, Allens-Pensacola, Green Turtle and then
Marsh Harbor. At Marsh Harbor, we will then begin the land based
portion of our caving trip visiting two caves in the North Abaco
region and then go down toward Hole In the Wall and go to some caves
there. We will also visit some of the Blue Holes.
My boat will stay in Marsh Harbor for the next portion of my cruise.
We will all get back to Freeport via "Regional Air" and then back to
Lauderdale on MV Discovery.
I've warned everybody that an extended Norther will entirely change
our plans.
Called the boatyard and "Ragtime" is back in the water.
Rental Satellite phone has arrived roughly $40/week and then $1.39/
minute.

On 12/21/10 3:42 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Have a fun, *safe* trip.

On 12/21/2010 3:42 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a terrific trip to me. Have a great time.
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:42:11 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like quite an adveture. The thought of warm sun and swimming
makes me green with envy. I'd gladly trade for our winter wonderland
excursion.

wrote:

Rental Satellite phone has arrived roughly $40/week and then $1.39/
minute.

It is much cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

wrote:

Rental Satellite phone has arrived roughly $40/week and then $1.39/
minute.

It is much cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

It doesn't work offshore.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:22:56 -0500, L G wrote:

It is much cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

It doesn't work offshore.

He's not sailing offshore, just island to island.

On Dec 21, 7:48*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:22:56 -0500, L G wrote:
It is much cheaper to buy *an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. * When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. *Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. *Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

It doesn't work offshore.

He's not sailing offshore, just island to island.

Satellitephonestore.com. Iridium 9505A for $35/week and 120 minutes
for $1.39/minute. This is more minutes than I EVER use any phone for
in a month but I expect others to use it. My employees also sorta
freak out if they cannot reach me so I promised em I'd get the sat
phone.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:42:04 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Dec 21, 7:48*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:22:56 -0500, L G wrote:
It is much cheaper to buy *an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. * When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. *Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. *Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

It doesn't work offshore.

He's not sailing offshore, just island to island.

Satellitephonestore.com. Iridium 9505A for $35/week and 120 minutes
for $1.39/minute. This is more minutes than I EVER use any phone for
in a month but I expect others to use it. My employees also sorta
freak out if they cannot reach me so I promised em I'd get the sat
phone.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. We've never
tried a sat phone but I've heard that they work much better with an
external antenna.

Are you ready? Short Wave Sportfishing General 42 February 5th 08 03:35 AM
We're still not ready NOYB General 5 October 31st 05 12:47 PM
We're still not ready NOYB General 0 October 31st 05 12:00 AM
Get Ready Bobsprit ASA 1 November 4th 03 10:42 PM
Almost ready bkr General 18 September 26th 03 07:48 PM