Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Almost ready to go

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:42:04 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Dec 21, 7:48*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:22:56 -0500, L G wrote:
It is much cheaper to buy *an unlocked GSM phone, about $50 on the
internet. * When you get to the Bahamas go to the nearest Batelco
office (they are everywhere) and buy a Bahamas SIM card for $13. *Then
you buy prepaid minutes as needed, usually in $20 increments. *Batelco
cell service is very good throughout the islands and costs a lot less
than $1.39/minute.

It doesn't work offshore.

He's not sailing offshore, just island to island.

Satellitephonestore.com. Iridium 9505A for $35/week and 120 minutes
for $1.39/minute. This is more minutes than I EVER use any phone for
in a month but I expect others to use it. My employees also sorta
freak out if they cannot reach me so I promised em I'd get the sat
phone.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. We've never
tried a sat phone but I've heard that they work much better with an
external antenna.