Default Boat push poles

I found this site selling push poles and it is local to me. Seems to
be a well thought gadget but I still have to get over my basic
cheapness before I pay $170 for basically a long stick.
http://www.skinnywaterproducts.com/
I've considered making my own by buying a piece of Al tubing from
"Metal Supermarkets" and making the Y end from two pieces of 3/4" ply
glued and glassed to make a 1.5" thick piece.
However, I think this guy at Skinnywater has done his thinking and
produced a good design, Even the cross section of the tubing is
optimized for stiffness. I kinda feel like I ought buy from him just
cuz I appreciate good design.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
I found this site selling push poles and it is local to me. Seems to
be a well thought gadget but I still have to get over my basic
cheapness before I pay $170 for basically a long stick.
http://www.skinnywaterproducts.com/
I've considered making my own by buying a piece of Al tubing from
"Metal Supermarkets" and making the Y end from two pieces of 3/4" ply
glued and glassed to make a 1.5" thick piece.
However, I think this guy at Skinnywater has done his thinking and
produced a good design, Even the cross section of the tubing is
optimized for stiffness. I kinda feel like I ought buy from him just
cuz I appreciate good design.

You have to assume that their product is well tested under a variety of
conditions.
What happens if your jury-rigged version breaks when you need it most.
Although $170.00 seems expensive, it might be the 'best buy'.

On 10/20/10 10:31 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

I was hoping he would go for the Scotty Ingerfool suggestion of buying a
staircase railing at Home Despot and fiberglassing it. :)

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!

Boat Gasket For Poles??? Lyn Freelon Boat Building 3 August 28th 09 01:47 PM
Push Boat MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 May 27th 07 01:37 AM
Bamboo Poles Bill Boat Building 0 March 22nd 07 01:35 AM
Boat awning poles Cruising 16 February 11th 04 05:04 PM
Push starting your boat Parallax Cruising 20 October 22nd 03 03:23 PM