Default Boat awning poles

Looking to make an awning. Lots of cruisers use pvc water pipe - it
ages in the sun and breaks - but it's cheap.

Friends have an awning that uses the bendy fiberglass tent pole
supports - like glass fishing rod stuff. They disconnect with ferrules
so are easy to stow - but all the ones they've seen have plated steel
ferrules - they rust and stain the awning.

Any better ideas?

Doug Dotson

You might try anodized aluminum poles that are used in
tents (contact Campmor) The fiberglass poles that are used
in tents have anodized aluminum ferules as well. You might contact
a company called Shadetree that makes awnings for boats
that uses these types of poles. We use 1" stainless steel
tubing for our awnings.

Doug
s/v Callista

"1" wrote in message
Looking to make an awning. Lots of cruisers use pvc water pipe - it
ages in the sun and breaks - but it's cheap.

Friends have an awning that uses the bendy fiberglass tent pole
supports - like glass fishing rod stuff. They disconnect with ferrules
so are easy to stow - but all the ones they've seen have plated steel
ferrules - they rust and stain the awning.

Any better ideas?

Terry Spragg

1 wrote:

Looking to make an awning. Lots of cruisers use pvc water pipe - it
ages in the sun and breaks - but it's cheap.

Friends have an awning that uses the bendy fiberglass tent pole
supports - like glass fishing rod stuff. They disconnect with ferrules
so are easy to stow - but all the ones they've seen have plated steel
ferrules - they rust and stain the awning.

Any better ideas?

Replace the steel with copper tube? SS tube? Buy new ones every
year? Wax them?

In fresh water, I have no such problem with the tent frame rods. I
found that making a 'conestoga' style windshield, dodger and screens
zip together quite easy, and the parts go up and down quick and
collapse, fold, and stow easy. I just pop the rods into eyes screwed
into the topsides, and attach the ends of the fabric using rod
pieces in the hems for stiffness, with the rods' ends held by light
lines through the centre holes.

The first edition used blue tarp, which rotted in the sun and
finally served as patterns, was replaced by awning sunblock
material. The third version uses stronger chimney rods overhead,
which screw together, attached to the lifeline stanctions at the
front of the cockpit. Cut in zippered doors to go forward on deck.
Dandy!

The winter version may ecapsulate thin closed cell foam for
insulation, but only if I get to spend a winter aboard in Qualicum.
A nice little wood stove on deck in the cockpit should warm up the
Boat Hole, especially with a layer of the same blue mattress foam
all over the inside of the hull, and a steam engine powered air
circulation fan, just for fun. Fella needs a hobby, eh?

Terry K

Florida Keyz

For 4 years , for a 12 foot flagpole on the commercial boat,we have been using
a pvc pipe, unpainted, with a wooden closet rod inside of it for support.

The closet rod fits perfectly!

Sterling

John Smith

I studied various shade options for the lower deck on my flighbridge
cruiser. I came up with a $50 wind up umbrella from BigW (Australia) it
sits in the rod holders on my inboard motor cover in the centre of the rear
deck area. I use some ockey straps (elastic ties with hooks each end) to
keep in position during windy days. It works very well and it is easily put
down to fish or move on home. The one I got is anodised steel which has
lasted 1 1/2 seasons so far with no signs of corrosion (salt water
environment)

Bloody wonderful (and cheap)

1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
Many boats are not being used. Bill Kiene General 14 October 25th 03 05:17 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM