Default New truck?

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:00:19 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message
On 10/15/10 1:24 PM, John H wrote:
Should I, or should I not? I've about decided that diesel pickups are
too
damn
expensive. I'm looking pretty seriously at this:

http://tinyurl.com/27ehnzo

Any comments? Any experience with this beast? Consumer Reports gives it
great
rating, and the damn thing will tow over 10K pounds.

Definitely. It makes perfect sense to spend $34,000 on a used truck
three
model years old and pay $700 more to get it here. Go for it!

--

Not to mention it's only a 2WD model.
If I was going that deep in the hole.... especially for a used truck, it

I am not sure why anyone in Northern Va would need a 4wd. That is
needless complexity and lower gas mileage for a feature you might only
use once or twice a year in a freak snow storm.
I had a Jeep for 5 years across the river from him and I may have
actually used the 4wd for something where I really needed it 6 or 7
times. I probably should have stayed home and enjoyed my fireplace but
I had a Jeep.. Most of the time I was just out on the beltway heating
up 2 extra gear cases full of 90 wt.

I was thinking for boat launching/recovery on sub-standard ramps.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:27:16 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

Great looking truck and color also. Looks just like my 2004 Crewcab diesel
that I paid less than that for in 2004. And depending on what you are going
to be towing, I would get a 3/4 ton if you go for a 5th wheel.

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:47:00 -0700, "Califbill"

wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
Should I, or should I not? I've about decided that diesel pickups are
too
damn
expensive. I'm looking pretty seriously at this:

http://tinyurl.com/27ehnzo

Any comments? Any experience with this beast? Consumer Reports gives it
great
rating, and the damn thing will tow over 10K pounds.
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

Too expensive. a 3 year old diesel would be the same or cheaper. Nice
truck, but the 10K tow rating is max and towing the gas mileage sucks.

Well, I have to admit I like this one also.

http://tinyurl.com/25mfnlh
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

It's being transferred to the local Carmax. Don't know if the link still works.
The sales guy said he was taking it off the market.
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:07:19 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

Should I, or should I not? I've about decided that diesel pickups are too damn
expensive. I'm looking pretty seriously at this:

http://tinyurl.com/27ehnzo

Any comments? Any experience with this beast? Consumer Reports gives it a great
rating, and the damn thing will tow over 10K pounds.

The best thing about that truck is the ARE tonneau cover on the bed.
I've had one for nearly 10 years on my F-150 SuperCrew and it has kept
the dry inside. I would pull out the hard liner and put in a Bed Rug.

If you are going to get a goose neck some day you might want to
reconsider. You really need the full size bed to accommodate the 5th
wheel.

I've asked about that, and the folks with the fifth wheelers say it's not a
problem, except when making a very tight turn. Then the front of the trailer may
hit the cab of the truck.

My wife and I have agreed to go look at this one as soon as it gets here. Should
be in a couple days.

http://tinyurl.com/25mfnlh
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:31:00 GMT, "A.Boater" wrote:

John, I don't know what you are thinking. Harry is entirely correct.

Personally, having owned one Jap piece of junk, I'd never go there again.
Currently, I own a domestic 1/2 ton that will pull over 10,000 pounds. I get
17 MPG City and 21 MPG Hwy and that, with a 4WD model. If you are going to
tow the boat out of steep slimy boat ramps, you WANT 4wd.

One important point to consider is that a lot of these (especially foreign)
engines are designed to produce torque and horsepower at higher RPM. That
makes sense for a car, but a truck is going to drive you nuts when towing as
it tachs 4,000 RPM, most of the time, and eats fuel at that rate. Yeah, and
do you REALLY want gangsta tires and wheels on a truck?

I'll be doing more towing in the future and my next truck will be a diesel.
It makes a LOT more sense as a tow vehicle, has hugely better longevity, and
a much better resale. It isn't a coincidence that all long haul trucks are
diesel.

This is a large ticket item. The bitter taste of poor quality lingers far
longer than the initial sweetness of a cheap price. And it does so, in
proportion to the sticker price.

But, your call.

Thanks for the input. I've been doing more looking, and have pretty much settled
(for today anyway) on this: http://tinyurl.com/25mfnlh

Hopefully the link will still work. The sales guy said he was taking the page
down to keep anyone else from buying it.

--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

On 10/15/10 7:13 PM, I am Tosk wrote:
I have been
pretty busy the last few days with Jess back on track as it were after
teh injury

Racing injury or aftermath of a date with loogy?

--
Guns Don't Kill People -- Fundamentalist Religion Kills People!

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message
On 10/15/10 7:13 PM, I am Tosk wrote:
I have been
pretty busy the last few days with Jess back on track as it were after
teh injury

Racing injury or aftermath of a date with loogy?

--

I was wondering what exactly a "teh injury" is.

Tim Tim is offline

This isn't my pic but I have one exactly like this. it's the closest
thing to a pick up that I need at the moment. It tows my boats jsut
fine.

now the pontoon? eh, I use my brothers Dodge/Cummins for that one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/...5d38e021_z.jpg

On 10/15/10 5:31 PM, A.Boater wrote:
[...]

I towed a 7000-pound plus boat behind a Toyota Tundra and later a Toyota
4-Runner with Toyota's V8 engine. One in a great while, while towing up
a steep grade, the engines might have spun up to 2700 rpm. At normal,
safe highway towing speeds, the engines loafed along at 2200-2300 rpm.

I expect the newer, larger Toyota V8 to tow its full capacity loads at
similar RPMs.

That said, I'd also go for a diesel if I were towing a boat rig or other
trailer of 10000 pounds or more. But...I wouldn't buy a 10000-pound plus
"trailer" boat.

My guess is that Herring is going to have $70,000 tied up in that used
truck and heavy duty camper. That's a real example of the aphorism about
a fool and his money.

[...]

His money... an unending supply from Uncle Sam to his bank account courtesy
of the American taxpayer.
I would think money is the last of his problems.... I'd be nervous of him
handling anything that big towing a travel trailer larger than his current
one.

On Oct 16, 9:26*am, "YukonBound" wrote:
[...]

one.- Hide quoted text -

BFD what you think.. You are a poorly educated, broom pusher from some
slum 1000 miles north of anybody who counts. I see you and the boys
are still infatuated with me, something like 75 posts a day about me
from the three of you.. Sweet...

Finally - a truck boat...or boat truck...or something... Tom Francis - SWSports General 0 October 17th 09 05:55 PM
What truck? Frogwatch General 79 September 13th 07 07:06 AM
Got a new truck! JR_FXLR General 17 May 28th 05 01:06 PM
truck-motor blabla Boat Building 1 August 26th 04 07:32 PM