Default Decking Materials - Redux

A quandary:

I have been planning to use TREX composite lumber for the decking,
railing, trim, stairs, on the deck I'll be building soon.

TREX is a composite wood and plastic material and in certain colors
looks pretty much like wood as opposed to looking like plastic.

Another material I'm told I should consider is Fiberon PVC decking
which, in certain colors, also looks like wood, though a bit less so
than the TREX. The Fiberon PVC has a composite core similar to that of
the TREX, but it is wrapped in PVC, sort of like milk chocolate covers
the nougat of a MARS bar. :)

The appearance of either is acceptable. I'm wondering about actual
durability, wear, resistance to fading, chalking, stains, et cetera.I
have a feeling the PVC coated material looks the same longer, but I
wonder how durable the PVC is to abrasion.

Comments? Suggestions?

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals
Jim Jim is offline

On 10/7/2010 10:28 AM, Secular Humouresque wrote:
[...]

I don't know but if I were building a deck from scratch, I'd consider
one of the "manmade" materials. We have a cedar deck and it requires
considerable maintenance every few years.

"Secular Humouresque" wrote in message m...
[...]

This is your lucky day. I have a comment and a suggestion. First the comment. If you use anything but real wood, it's going to look like cheap plastic. Hey! Maybe you are into the look of cheap plastic. Just saying, I didn't notice any decorative teak on your former boat, just plastic.

Suggestion: Get off your lazy butt and go look at some beautiful wood deck options. Ipe or mahogany are good choices and would out live you.

I'm the real Harry, and I post from a PC or a MAC, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a PC or a MAC, it's from an ID
spoofer who hasn't the balls to post with his current ID.

The magnificent Boatless Harry

[...]

Here are some relatively recent pics of Trex being install. Apparently, it
does "rot" whatever that mans. My dad had to replace most of the back deck,
which he got from the company for free, apparently... Not sure who took the
pictures.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2aenv2e&s=7

In article ,
says...

[...]

Hey, spoofer, do tell, where did you come up with the 45 P.S.F.? snerk

Secular Humouresque wrote:
[...]

Say what? Don didn't jump in to question "install" and "mans"? I
thought he was here to improve the group. WAFL!

wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 06:12:15 -0400, Secular Humouresque
wrote:

[...]

The plastic wood product they are pitching us for our docks is a 1.5"
x 5.5" thick trex like product except it doesn't have a wood filler.
The color goes all the way through.

The Trex did not rot. I have a claim in on my deck. They had a couple
years of bad plasticizer which causes the Trex to break down.

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the problem wasn't caused by all the liquor you slosh on the
deck?

In article ,
says...

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

[...]

He's not like your drunken lazy son.

Replacing decking foam. Dan Listermann Boat Building 2 April 28th 09 02:45 PM
Synthetic decking mulroys Cruising 6 January 10th 05 04:09 AM
"Striped" Decking Douglas St. Clair Boat Building 6 January 1st 05 05:10 AM
teak decking .....Ken Boat Building 0 June 12th 04 01:40 PM