Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Decking Materials - Redux

A quandary:

I have been planning to use TREX composite lumber for the decking,
railing, trim, stairs, on the deck I'll be building soon.

TREX is a composite wood and plastic material and in certain colors
looks pretty much like wood as opposed to looking like plastic.

Another material I'm told I should consider is Fiberon PVC decking
which, in certain colors, also looks like wood, though a bit less so
than the TREX. The Fiberon PVC has a composite core similar to that of
the TREX, but it is wrapped in PVC, sort of like milk chocolate covers
the nougat of a MARS bar. :)

The appearance of either is acceptable. I'm wondering about actual
durability, wear, resistance to fading, chalking, stains, et cetera.I
have a feeling the PVC coated material looks the same longer, but I
wonder how durable the PVC is to abrasion.

Comments? Suggestions?

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

Replacing decking foam. Dan Listermann Boat Building 2 April 28th 09 02:45 PM
Synthetic decking mulroys Cruising 6 January 10th 05 04:09 AM
"Striped" Decking Douglas St. Clair Boat Building 6 January 1st 05 05:10 AM
teak decking .....Ken Boat Building 0 June 12th 04 01:40 PM