Default Is it possible to live on a boat instead of a permenent house?

wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 04:44:34 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

We know a woman who was living on one of those derelict, won't start
boats in San Diego but she was in a slip with power and water so it
was basically a slum apartment on the water. The boat finally sunk and
she moved.

I wonder if she found another junker?

She ended up in La Jolla owning a store and living in the store.

All my life, I have really liked living close to where I worked. And that
included a couple of those LaJolla arrangements. Although sometimes, the
lack of privacy, and being available to fight every sized fire that came
along morning, noon, and night did have its downsides, too.

Her name wasn't Ruby, was it?

Steve

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:26:32 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:06*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:15:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

This isnt' about a port to port boat, but I remember a few years ago,t
here was a guy out on the west coast that had some giant and ancient
Chris Craft vintage [i believe] 1947 and he had it up for bid after he
had lived aboard for something like 17 years. Engines were froze up
and all it did was float in the slip. I dont' know if he had to pay
for shore power, but basically he paid slip rent and an occasional
haul out for maintenance. I would say his commodities were about what
you could stuff in a large camper and little more than cloths and
personal necessities.

That's not really boating of course. * I call it one step from
homeless. * There's a lot of it in warmer climates.

Well Wayne, the original question was: "Is it possible to live on a
boat instead of a permanent house? "

And the obvious short answer is a simple "yes"

True... I wouldn't say that just because you live on a boat, that
you're 'boat living'

Tim, sorry if you took offense at my post, no offense intended.

Here's the original:
+++
What kind of size would be suitable for a livaboard boat? that would
be in the sea. I quite fancy the idea of going from port to port. What
kind of budget/ size of boat would I need to be looking for?
+++

He mentions the desire to go "port to port", i.e., cruising. To me
that implies a boat that is seaworthy and not just a harbor derelict.
Harbor derelicts are a big problem down here in sunny Florida and some
other places. They are giving cruisers a bad name, and all kinds of
negative regulations are springing up as a result of people living
aboard on derelict vessels.

Jim Jim is offline

Wayne.B wrote:

He mentions the desire to go "port to port", i.e., cruising. To me
that implies a boat that is seaworthy and not just a harbor derelict.
Harbor derelicts are a big problem down here in sunny Florida and some
other places. They are giving cruisers a bad name, and all kinds of
negative regulations are springing up as a result of people living
aboard on derelict vessels.

I thought a derelict vessel was an abandoned vessel.
If there are folks living on a vessel - like a Wilbur Hubbard for
example - you might call that a vessel in need of TLC, or a decrepit
vessel, or a floating pile of crap.

Jim - I hate pedantry.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:54:52 -0500, Jim wrote:

I thought a derelict vessel was an abandoned vessel.
If there are folks living on a vessel - like a Wilbur Hubbard for
example - you might call that a vessel in need of TLC, or a decrepit
vessel, or a floating pile of crap.

Theoretically you are correct, a true derelict must be abandoned.
I've taken the liberty of expanding the definition slightly to include
totally unseaworthy vessels that are no longer capable of going
anywhere and have fallen into a very neglected state. In truth, most
vessels like that eventually become true derelicts even if someone is
living aboard them at the moment. As long as Wilbur's boat still has
a mast, rigging, sails and a working engine, it might still be
seaworthy. Who knows.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:54:52 -0500, Jim wrote:

I thought a derelict vessel was an abandoned vessel.
If there are folks living on a vessel - like a Wilbur Hubbard for
example - you might call that a vessel in need of TLC, or a decrepit
vessel, or a floating pile of crap.

Theoretically you are correct, a true derelict must be abandoned.
I've taken the liberty of expanding the definition slightly to include
totally unseaworthy vessels that are no longer capable of going
anywhere and have fallen into a very neglected state. In truth, most
vessels like that eventually become true derelicts even if someone is
living aboard them at the moment. As long as Wilbur's boat still has
a mast, rigging, sails and a working engine, it might still be
seaworthy. Who knows.

If it floats, it's technically a boat. If the keel is resting on bottom,
and parts are still above the water line, I'm not sure. Seen lots of wrecks
on the beach like that and wondered about ownership. There was a partially
sunken concrete boat near the Quarantine Island in Galveston where a spy hid
out during WW2. Had to be dedicated or crazy. Me thinks if it will float
and move under power, if even human, it's technically a boat.

Steve

In article , says...

Wayne.B wrote:

He mentions the desire to go "port to port", i.e., cruising. To me
that implies a boat that is seaworthy and not just a harbor derelict.
Harbor derelicts are a big problem down here in sunny Florida and some
other places. They are giving cruisers a bad name, and all kinds of
negative regulations are springing up as a result of people living
aboard on derelict vessels.

I thought a derelict vessel was an abandoned vessel.
If there are folks living on a vessel - like a Wilbur Hubbard for
example - you might call that a vessel in need of TLC, or a decrepit
vessel, or a floating pile of crap.

Jim - I hate pedantry.

Why don't you go call somebody's wife and threaten to molest them,
again.

On Sep 9, 9:00*am, Secular Humanist wrote:
In article , says...

Wayne.B wrote:

He mentions the desire to go "port to port", i.e., cruising. * To me
that implies a boat that is seaworthy and not just a harbor derelict.
Harbor derelicts are a big problem down here in sunny Florida and some
other places. * They are giving cruisers a bad name, and all kinds of
negative regulations are springing up as a result of people living
aboard on derelict vessels.

I thought a derelict vessel was an abandoned vessel.
If there are folks living on a vessel - like a Wilbur Hubbard for
example - you might call that a vessel in need of TLC, or a decrepit
vessel, or a floating pile of crap.

Jim - I hate pedantry.

Why don't you go call somebody's wife and threaten to molest them,
again.

Why dont you go break a young girls arms...Loogy.