Default Should I Upgrade or Update My Engine?

I am going to try and save up about $1000, I'm not loaded so I can't
afford to much, but I have a old 1972 16ft Terry Bass. I like the
layout, but the engine isn't enough. It starts whenever I need it to
but it can only push the boat about 21mph (by myself) and 11mph (with
1 or more people). I think it has the original engine which is a 55HP
Chrysler engine. I mapped my usage and get about 1 mpg, so it sucks
the gas without the power. Should I take the boat in and have someone
work on the engine to get more power, maybe it's not working at all
power, and stay with the dependable engine. Or should I use the $1000
and try to go for a 85HP or so maybe 80's used motor? Boat rated for
85 max. The newer engine should have more power (just even if I
compared 55 from old to new), better gas mileage, but I run the risk
of it not being as dependable? What's your thoughts, should I upgrade
to a new more horsepower engine or update mine (which isn't a 100%
sure if you can get any more speed or gas mileage from the engine)?

"Chris Reese" wrote in message
[...]

If I were in your situation I would stick with what you have. 21 mph is not
bad for that combo. Save the $1000 for something you need.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a Mac, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a Mac, it's from an ID

Jim Jim is offline

Chris Reese wrote:
[...]

Best advice you got so far was to weigh the boat to see if the foam is
waterlogged.
What's the sense of a different motor pushing a waterlogged boat?
They used open cell foam in those old boats.
This says your boat should weigh 835 lbs.
http://www.iboats.com/Terry__Pro_Bas...bp/61b125380r1
Empty the boat before weighing, then subtract the published motor weight.
If you don't know of a local scale, try looking here.
http://www.catscale.com
It doesn't matter if the boat was garaged.
When water goes in that foam it don't come out.
Sounds like you should just sell that boat and get one that will go as
fast as you want to go.
If you got $500 for it, you could save just $800 and see if this guy
would take $1300.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1872342108.html
Save some more for this.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/1924917798.html
45mph! Be careful you don't hit a stump.
If your boat is waterlogged you just don't want be throwing any money at it.
Boats are too cheap now to be doing that.
If the boat isn't hundreds of pounds overweight, and is otherwise sound,
then your re-power idea has merit.

Jim - Sometimes you need to look real hard at your plans.

"Jim" wrote in message
Chris Reese wrote:
[...]

Another advantage of weighing your boat.
The original trailer may not be sturdy enough to carry the additional weight
of a waterlogged boat.
The original 1986 trailer that came with my 1986 sailboat was rated at 1200
lbs...turned out the boat weighed 1700 + pounds.
The idiot I had build a new trailer for me went with this 1200 mfg estimate
and put on trailer springs rated for 1800 lb.
The boat & trailer (no motor or gas aboard) came in at over 2300 lbs. The
trailer broke down within 500 miles on my first road trip.
(the biggest thing the idiot did wrong was not spacing the spring hangers
properly for the length of springs)
You have to be careful trailering on the highways.

On 8/30/10 12:00 PM, W1TEF wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:21:18 -0500, wrote:

Best advice you got so far was to weigh the boat to see if the foam is
waterlogged.

I don't know if you remember Jim, but I found out that my Ranger bay
boat is about 870 lbs over published weight putting the whole rig
right on the edge of trailer capacity - 4,980 lbs for a 5,000 lb
trailer.

The foam isn't waterlogged. I called Ranger about it and they didn't
have an explanation either.

I got to thinking about it. A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. To have
870 lbs of extra water weight, the boat would have to hold 109 gals of
water.

That's a lot of cubic feet of water to have in foam on a 20 foot boat.

It's probably the lead Ranger poured into one side of the bilge to make
the boat float level. About one cubic foot of lead isn't far off from
that weight you are carrying around.

Autohelm Upgrade Hawaiian Cruising 1 May 2nd 07 08:21 PM
Upgrade to this 26' Seaswirl?? Dene General 17 February 2nd 06 11:59 PM
Upgrade to this 26' Seaswirl?? Dene Cruising 8 February 2nd 06 11:59 PM
Outboard upgrade nfisherman General 6 February 23rd 04 08:19 PM
electronics upgrade q Mike General 1 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM