posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dene

Default Upgrade to this 26' Seaswirl??

Here is my boat. We paid 20k for it. Other than a prop, it has required no
upkeep.

http://tinyurl.com/7vaya

Here is the boat we're considering....

http://tinyurl.com/c6orm

Here are the reasons why.....

1. 6'5" enclosed cabin. The only reason to go below is to sleep or use the
enclosed head. Whereas on my pocket cruiser, I have to crouch everywhere.

2. Supposedly more fuel efficient with the dual prop outdrive. Definitely
tracks better at slower speed.

3. All weather, windowed cabin instead of canvas, more suitable for the
Pacific NorthWest.

4. Quieter, due to foamed hulls.

5. Dialed in with all the electronic goodies.

Downside......$465/mo. vs. $183/mo.

What do you fellas think?

-Greg

Dene

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dene wrote:
[...]

Pretty steep monthly payment, but that's your business. Boat looks
clean, but for that kind of money, have it surveyed.

Definitely........had the Starcraft surveyed. As for payment, that 40k at
6.99% for 10 years. I'm not so concerned about the monthly payment as I am
about resale value in about 5+ years. Seaswirl quit making these in 2003,
yet they did get good reviews while in production. I'm not expecting to get
40k in 5 years but it would be nice if half was recovered.

-Greg

Dene

Definitely........had the Starcraft surveyed. As for payment, that 40k

at
6.99% for 10 years. I'm not so concerned about the monthly payment as I

am
about resale value in about 5+ years. Seaswirl quit making these in

2003,
yet they did get good reviews while in production. I'm not expecting to

get
40k in 5 years but it would be nice if half was recovered.

it's a little steep for payments and you'll never recover your
investment.

i'd look around a little or put a larger amount of money down. you
will never get out from under that loan on that boat unless you have
at least 40 to 50% down and that's iffy.

I'm not that concerned about paying it off. Primary reason is that the
payment serves me well as a 2nd home tax write-off. In my retirement years,
hopefully 10 winters from now, different story.

We will definitely be looking around at other boats. That's half the fun.
:

-Greg

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
RCE

"Dene" wrote in message
[...]

My opinion? Forget the single engine outdrive and invest your money in a
twin engined inboard with rudders. You will never look back.

RCE

Wayne.B

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:25:14 -0800, "Dene" wrote:

I'm not that concerned about paying it off. Primary reason is that the
payment serves me well as a 2nd home tax write-off. In my retirement years,
hopefully 10 winters from now, different story.

The problem comes in 3 to 5 years when you decide that you really need
something bigger and you discover that you still owe more than the
boat is worth. In other words, you are "upside down" and have to
payout cash just to sell. Happens all the time.

"Dene" wrote in message

"RCE" wrote in message

"Dene" wrote in message
[...]

What about twin outboards. Did notice another listing with a pair of 150
hp
Evinrudes.

-Greg

My opinion? Much better than a single I/O.

RCE

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:25:14 -0800, "Dene" wrote:

I'm not that concerned about paying it off. Primary reason is that the
payment serves me well as a 2nd home tax write-off. In my retirement

years,
hopefully 10 winters from now, different story.

The problem comes in 3 to 5 years when you decide that you really need
something bigger and you discover that you still owe more than the
boat is worth. In other words, you are "upside down" and have to
payout cash just to sell. Happens all the time.

Right....but I think that is most likely to happen to new boat buyers. This
is a $100,000 new. The seller took the biggest hit.

-Greg

Wayne.B

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:42:52 -0800, "Dene" wrote:

Right....but I think that is most likely to happen to new boat buyers. This
is a $100,000 new. The seller took the biggest hit.

Trust me, it can, and will happen to anyone with extended loan terms
beyond about 5 years or so. The problem is that with a longer term
loan, most of the monthly payments are going for interest over the
first part of the loan period, very little going for amortization (pay
down of principle amount).

If you are proficient with Excel, create a spreadsheet where every
column is one month of the repayment period. Start with the loan
amount and monthly payment. Use the monthly interest rate (annual
rate/12) to calculate the interest paid in the first month. The
remainder of the payment after interest is ammortization. Calculate
the second and subsequent columns by subtracting ammortization from
the principle amount of the previous month. Recalculate interest for
the current month and keep rolling the whole thing forward. It's
actually easier than my description.

The bottom line is that you will be shocked at how slowly you are
actually paying the boat off until the last few years of the loan.

Calif Bill

[...]

its not a question of paying it off - its a question of relative
investment. yes you can write off part of the interest, but that only
lasts so long - you still have to recover some of the principal if you
ever sell it and at the amount financed, you won't be able to do it.

We will definitely be looking around at other boats. That's half the fun.

damn straight.

Seems like $60k for a 6 year old boat is on the high side to me. How much
was it new? When I can get a brand new custom Davis Rock Harbor 25 for
$90k, and that is a semicustom boat, the $60k seems steep. As to financing
$40k, that is a personal thing. I would never do it for a toy, but that is
me.