Jim Jim is offline

Default Boat Food Techniques - Part IV (Boating With The Tuna Fish Sandwich)

This article is how to make the Tuna Fish Sandwich a part of your
boating pleasure.
This beloved sandwich, an absolute classic, was suggested by a reader,
and I thank him for his positive contribution.
Because in the kitchen it takes thinking outside the breadbox.
And in the boat it takes thinking outside the tackle and bait box.

When the ability to think outside these boxes is nurtured and honed,
an entire new horizon of Boat Food Techniques comes in view.
Eating the Tuna Fish Sandwich aboard the boat exemplifies that.

How so, you ask?
(If you know the answer, stop reading. But don't cheat.)

Well, so far we have prepared sandwiches in the kitchen, then
transported them to the boat using various methods.
The Reuben and Fried Egg Sandwiches present a challenge in getting a
warm and non-soggy sandwich to the boat for the eating of it.
The Cold Ham Sandwich is easy, if simple rules are followed.

Now, The Tuna Fish Sandwich can NOT be transported to the boat without
getting soggy. No way, no how.
Does that stop boaters - who are well known for their logic, cool calm
demeanor, and versatility - from eating a good Tuna Fish Sandwich on the
boat?
Hell NO!

We take the kitchen-prepared tuna fish mixings in a Tupperware(TM)
container to the boat in the cooler, and toss a loaf of fresh bread in
our tote bag. Then make the sandwich on the boat.
Problem solved. Another victory for boaters!

Once the convention-forged shackles of the mind are cut, and we see that
it's easy to make the sandwich on the boat, the Tuna Fish Sandwich
appears on the boat non-soggy, and in all its glory of interesting tastes.

Recipe. Let's get "recipe" out of the way.
You don't need one. It's impossible to screw up a Tuna Fish Sandwich.
Anybody who would do that isn't even a boater. Just won't float.
Sometimes I use sweet relish, sometimes chopped dill pickles.
Sometimes white or yellow onions, sometimes Vidalia.
Sometimes green olives, sometimes black, sometimes none.
I always use real Mayo, but there's many ways to make a good-tasting
Tuna Fish Sandwich.

Choose any bread you like, but don't disgrace yourself with American
white bread. That's for French toast only. And little kiddie bread
pudding. And you can feed it to ducks, geese, and other lower animals.
Real Frenchified commie stuff.
I use toasted Rye at home, but I don't do that on the boat.
I could work that out, but if I did, I would think I was at home, which
defeats the purpose of boating.
Wayne might see that differently.
Anyway, you just don't need toasted Rye for a good Tuna Fish Sandwich.

Tuna salad ingredient flavors start to blend not too long after being
mixed. I mix mine up as the last thing done before I go out the door
and head down to the boat.

Utensils/Preparation.
You need a small cutting board and a fork to put the tuna on
the bread, and a knife to cut the bread if you brought a French* or
Italian loaf. Lay it on as thick as you like it.
Though I have a knife and cutting board I use for cutting bait, I bring
utensils dedicated to sandwich preparation.
There's probably nothing wrong with squid eyeballs and mullet guts in a
Tuna Fish Sandwich - some people even use anchovies - it just
makes me queasy.

Which brings to mind a warning I should make here.
Don't make your sandwiches in a tossing or porpoising boat.
Wait for calm seas or get into a cove where it's pretty flat.
Otherwise you could make a mess, or cut yourself slicing bread.

* French bread has nothing to do with other French stuff, because it
was invented by cavemen before France and communism even existed and
even before Charles de Gaulle was born, so don't worry about eating it.
If the name wasn't already taken, we would have renamed it to American
Bread at the same time we invented American Fries.
The name American Bread doesn't really exist, but most everybody thinks
so because there's American Cheese.
Just one of those linguistic oddities that fools people.
And some fool real easy.
I still think we could call it American Crusty Loaf bread but nobody's
done that - yet.

Jim - Boating with good food. It's a way of life.

mmc mmc is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:22:01 -0500, Jim wrote:

Now, The Tuna Fish Sandwich can NOT be transported to the boat without
getting soggy. No way, no how.

Not true.
The trick is you make the tuna fairly dry (less mayo than you normally
want) and seal the bread with mayo before you put the tuna on. The
mayo will prevent the bread from getting soggy.
If you watch the deli guy, that is the way they do it.

A good way to avoid the soggies is to buy a nice piece of smoked, fresh tuna
and build the sandwich around that! Nice kaiser roll, not a lot of mayo,
lettuce, tomato and mild onion.....
So much better and different from what mom used to make, I doubt many would
recognise what they are eating.

On Aug 25, 9:43*am, "mmc" wrote:
wrote in message

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:22:01 -0500, Jim wrote:

Now, The Tuna Fish Sandwich can NOT be transported to the boat without
getting soggy. *No way, no how.

Not true.
The trick is you make the tuna fairly dry (less mayo than you normally
want) and seal the bread with mayo before you put the tuna on. The
mayo will prevent the bread from getting soggy.
If you watch the deli guy, that is the way they do it.

A good way to avoid the soggies is to buy a nice piece of smoked, fresh tuna
and build the sandwich around that! Nice kaiser roll, not a lot of mayo,
lettuce, tomato and mild onion.....
So much better and different from what mom used to make, I doubt many would
recognise what they are eating.

I like my canned "tuna" . I spend a lot of time with three days of
food in a cooler. Usually the first day (travel day) consists of a
good breakfast of egg, meat, potato, cheese, milk, cereal and lot's of
water. For the trip on day one we take huge sandwiches made with 12-15
inch sub rolls. As to the soggies, put the cheese over the mayo and
stuff the rest.in threre, it stays just fine. That and some snacks
make up lunch and dinner that day. Much easier to set up the cooking
stuff the next morning when camp is set...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

In article om,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

You don't put the mayo or mustard on the bread. Put the cheese on the
bread and then put the mayo or mustard on the cheese.

Never, it makes the whole sandwich slide out when you are driving...
Just use thick rolls, "soggies" are really not much of an issue. I don't
make sandwiches with sliced bread, well, maybe peanut butter or a tomato
sandwich, but not a meat and veggie sandwich if I can help it.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

You're wolfing down sandwiches while you drive?
Thank God I don't have to drive your roads!

On 8/25/10 10:30 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

In article om,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

He probably has sex with himself while greasing up a motorbike chain.
The guy is a schlub...there's just no other way to describe him.

We make "boatwiches" here by putting the "innards" in plastic lid
containers (cold cuts, cheese, chicken salad, veggies,tuna salad, et
cetera), and putting the containers in the cooler. We wrap the round or
sub rolls separately and put them in plastic baggies. When it is time to
eat, we just uncover/unwrap what we want and make a sandwich.

The mayo and mustard we like is available in small single-serve foil
pouches.

No muss, no fuss, no soggy sandwiches.

In article ,
says...

[...]