Default Little Aid Forthcoming for Pakistan?

There's a pretty lively discussion going on at KOS about the fact that,
relatively speaking, little aid is flowing to Pakistan to help with that
country's disaster relief.

Several posters have opined thoughts similar to the following:

"A lot of commentators are saying that Pakistan is a country that spends
billions on its military and has enough money to fund nuclear weapons,
and therefore it should reassess its spending priorities rather than
expect foreign countries to save its people from cholera and starvation
while it continues to spend 40% of its GDP on weapons and less than 1%
on public health.

UNICEF has been saying the same thing for years and years: Pakistan lets
hundreds of thousands of its children die of diarrhoea every year
(floods or no floods) in favour of playing expensive and dangerous war
games. The difficulty in getting people to pony up financial aid
reflects ordinary human disgust at the idea of rewarding this."

A reasonable thought?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/8/22/895204/-Why

Oh...boating related...lack of boats, flooded rivers, et cetera.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:52:54 -0400, Secular Humanist
wrote:

[...]

well they do have shari'a. that probably gives them comfort as they
watch their children die.

On 8/22/10 5:50 PM, Canuck57 wrote:
On 8/22/2010 9:52 AM, Secular Humanist wrote:
There's a pretty lively discussion going on at KOS about the fact that,
relatively speaking, little aid is flowing to Pakistan to help with that
country's disaster relief.

Yep, billions on military and nuclear weapons. But no money for the
people. Do you think the Muslims will thank the west?

Speaking of which, has other Muslim nations ever helped their own? We
are in Canada and the US in debt up the wazoo and Pakistan only owes $50
billion give or take.

Don't we have some of our own problems that could use the money such as
a few decaying and unsafe bridges? Or perhaps some corruption to
investigate?

Frankly, I think most of the military expenditures on our recent foreign
adventures have been and are a waste of money.

When we finally leave Iraq, no matter when it is, even if it is a decade
in the future, the country will become a shambles and civil war will
break out.

The same is true of Afghanistan.

In the end, we will accomplish nothing in either country, no matter how
much we waste there in terms of personnel and money.

Pakistan is another corrupt failed state and always will be. As is
Bangladesh.

I support the idea of humanitarian aid when and where it is needed, so
long as it is clearly marked in the appropriate language, "A Gift from
the People of the United States of America." I support the idea of using
our military troops to deliver humanitarian aid.

--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

On 8/22/2010 2:00 PM, Secular Humanist wrote:
On 8/22/10 5:50 PM, Canuck57 wrote:
On 8/22/2010 9:52 AM, Secular Humanist wrote:
There's a pretty lively discussion going on at KOS about the fact that,
relatively speaking, little aid is flowing to Pakistan to help with that
country's disaster relief.

Yep, billions on military and nuclear weapons. But no money for the
people. Do you think the Muslims will thank the west?

Speaking of which, has other Muslim nations ever helped their own? We
are in Canada and the US in debt up the wazoo and Pakistan only owes $50
billion give or take.

Don't we have some of our own problems that could use the money such as
a few decaying and unsafe bridges? Or perhaps some corruption to
investigate?

Frankly, I think most of the military expenditures on our recent foreign
adventures have been and are a waste of money.

I would agree. If we didn't go into Iraq, Saddam might have had anotehr
war with Iran to kill another 500,000 - but better them fight each other
than our people spilling blood for their feuds and cult.

When we finally leave Iraq, no matter when it is, even if it is a decade
in the future, the country will become a shambles and civil war will
break out.

Bet it will revert in less than a year, just like Vietnam.

The same is true of Afghanistan.

Yep. Heroin will flow as soon as the fields yield a crop.

In the end, we will accomplish nothing in either country, no matter how
much we waste there in terms of personnel and money.

Agreed.

Pakistan is another corrupt failed state and always will be. As is
Bangladesh.

Yep. US and Canada are suckers in providing aid as it is also a route
of smuggling of weapons that kill our soldiers.

I support the idea of humanitarian aid when and where it is needed, so
long as it is clearly marked in the appropriate language, "A Gift from
the People of the United States of America." I support the idea of using
our military troops to deliver humanitarian aid.

Send food and materials clearly marked "Humanitarian Aid USA" with the
Red White and Blue. Might as well get credit. Let them know who
helped. And deliver it directly or not at all. None of this middle men
corruption.

wrote:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/8/22/895204/-Why

Oh...boating related...lack of boats, flooded rivers, et cetera.

well they do have shari'a. that probably gives them comfort as they
watch their children die.

****'m they are just Muslims, huh?

Maybe if we spent about 1% of what we are spending in the war, to help
them, we wouldn't need to have the war.

bull****. for example, we were afghanistan's largest donor BEFORE 9/11

how'd that work out?

wrote in message

Maybe if we spent about 1% of what we are spending in the war, to help
them, we wouldn't need to have the war.

Our military budget is almost as lopsided as theirs.

Wishful thinking. Sounds like what My brother Suckular Harry might say.
--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a Mac, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a Mac, it's from an ID

OT Aid to Haiti John H[_12_] General 41 February 1st 10 08:28 PM
Pakistan President says Sarah Palin is gorgeous! Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] ASA 8 September 30th 08 01:53 AM
Travel aid [email protected] UK Power Boats 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] UK Paddle 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] Cruising 0 February 7th 06 12:25 PM