Default More probs with ethanol in fuel

The 5 hp Honda outboard on our clubs 23' Hunter was running poorly so
I took it to be serviced. As expected, the shop said it was caused by
water in the fuel from the ethanol. So, I took the full container of
fuel home to see if I could do anything with it.
I poured the fuel into 6 old milk jugs and allowed them to sit
overnight and three of them had drops of water on the bottom in the
morning. I then carefully poured the fuel into a 5 gallon container
leaving enough in each jug to hold the water. I put in fuel
stabilizer and some "water absorber". I plan to use this fuel in my
lawn mower because I can now rebuild its carb in about 15 minutes.
The prob is that most users of the club boat may not know to remove
the fuel line and run it out of fuel and they may not be careful of
where they buy fuel and they buy fuel with ethanol in it.
Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Try sneaking a couple of ounces of waterzorb into the fuel tank whenever you
use the boat. There might be other stuff just as good but This stuff has
proven itself to work for me. Also you might add a waterseparating filter to
the gas line before the oil mix tank.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a Mac, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a Mac, it's from an ID

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:57:06 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

Install a fixed filter in the fuel line between the tank and the
outboard. It's an easy job and not that expensive. I did this
after several fuel incidents with our dinghy engine and it has been
trouble free since.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4484-kit-alum-assy-long-filter-engine-type-200hp-above-3-8-inlet.html

wrote:

Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

Install a fixed filter in the fuel line between the tank and the
outboard. It's an easy job and not that expensive. I did this
after several fuel incidents with our dinghy engine and it has been
trouble free since.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4484-kit-alum-assy-long-filter-engine-type-200hp-above-3-8-inlet.html

I prefer the Racor with the clear bowl. You can drain any water into a
soda can and discard it. There is no guesswork - you can see when it
has accumulated water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=10410

wrote:

Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

Install a fixed filter in the fuel line between the tank and the
outboard. It's an easy job and not that expensive. I did this
after several fuel incidents with our dinghy engine and it has been
trouble free since.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4484-kit-alum-assy-long-filter-engine-type-200hp-above-3-8-inlet.html

I prefer the Racor with the clear bowl. You can drain any water into a
soda can and discard it. There is no guesswork - you can see when it has
accumulated water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=10410

Check CG regs as to where you can use the filters with the glass bowl. There
are some restrictions.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a Mac, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a Mac, it's from an ID
spoofer who hasn't the balls to post with his own ID.

wrote:

Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

Install a fixed filter in the fuel line between the tank and the
outboard. It's an easy job and not that expensive. I did this
after several fuel incidents with our dinghy engine and it has been
trouble free since.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4484-kit-alum-assy-long-filter-engine-type-200hp-above-3-8-inlet.html

I prefer the Racor with the clear bowl. You can drain any water into a
soda can and discard it. There is no guesswork - you can see when it
has accumulated water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=10410

There is no question that Racor makes good filters. They are
expensive however and so are the replacement filter elements. The
Sierra filter can also be removed, drained and reinstalled but it
requires more effort than the Racor. I drained out our dinghy filter
after about 6 months of almost every day use and found several ounces
of water and a bunch of sediment that had been trapped.

wrote:

[...]

That's why I prefer the clear bowl on the Racor. It's very simple to drain.