Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default More probs with ethanol in fuel

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:29:51 -0400, Larry
wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:57:06 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Not sure how to deal with this prob on a continuing basis because non-
ethanol fuel is hard to get here and I hate to add water absorber not
knowing what others may have added.

Install a fixed filter in the fuel line between the tank and the
outboard. It's an easy job and not that expensive. I did this
after several fuel incidents with our dinghy engine and it has been
trouble free since.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4484-kit-alum-assy-long-filter-engine-type-200hp-above-3-8-inlet.html

I prefer the Racor with the clear bowl. You can drain any water into a
soda can and discard it. There is no guesswork - you can see when it
has accumulated water.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=10410

There is no question that Racor makes good filters. They are
expensive however and so are the replacement filter elements. The
Sierra filter can also be removed, drained and reinstalled but it
requires more effort than the Racor. I drained out our dinghy filter
after about 6 months of almost every day use and found several ounces
of water and a bunch of sediment that had been trapped.