BoatBanter.com

-   -   Thanks to all... starter problem solved (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/116344-thanks-all-starter-problem-solved.html)

YukonBound July 8th 10 01:59 PM

Thanks to all... starter problem solved

Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and all
works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made, the
starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

Harry  July 8th 10 02:02 PM

On 7/8/10 8:59 AM, YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

A resurrection, as it were!

Jim July 8th 10 02:12 PM

YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

Very rude to ask for help, then not give the solution.
Others who encounter the same problem are denied the answer.
Even if the answer is something really, really stupid.
We all make mistakes.

Jim - Sermon for Thursday.

Harry[_2_] July 8th 10 02:29 PM

Thanks to all... starter problem solved

In article ,
says...

On 7/8/10 8:59 AM, YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

A resurrection, as it were!

You spoofer. I am so proud of my little buddy.

YukonBound July 8th 10 02:29 PM

"Jim" wrote in message
YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

Very rude to ask for help, then not give the solution.
Others who encounter the same problem are denied the answer.
Even if the answer is something really, really stupid.
We all make mistakes.

Jim - Sermon for Thursday.

Maybe... but in here every bit of information is used as a weapon.

Harry  July 8th 10 02:39 PM

On 7/8/10 9:29 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
YukonBound wrote:
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem
and all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was
made, the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

Very rude to ask for help, then not give the solution.
Others who encounter the same problem are denied the answer.
Even if the answer is something really, really stupid.
We all make mistakes.

Jim - Sermon for Thursday.

Maybe... but in here every bit of information is used as a weapon.

Indeed. Just leave the assholes hanging by their...

Harold[_3_] July 8th 10 03:05 PM

"YukonBound" wrote in message
Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

I can assure you the details aren't boring. There are many here that could
benefit from your experience. You can't just beg for help and not post a
follow-up. It's just not right.

Harold[_3_] July 8th 10 03:07 PM

Thanks to all... starter problem solved

"W1TEF" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:59:27 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all
works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the
starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

So what was it?

We're trying to pry the fix out of him but he aint talking. What does that
tell you?

YukonBound July 8th 10 03:10 PM

wrote:

Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter problem and
all
works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was made,
the
starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

So what was it?

Ok.. since you asked...
This solution was in the back of my mind from the start, but I didn't want
to try anything for fear of causing problems.
I was able to turn the bendix toothed gear by hand and one way it would
raise up on a helix to the flywheel so I felt nothing was seized there.
When I pressed the starter I noticed that the bexdix was spinning
clockwise... same way as the flywheel did when I pulled on the cord.
This didn't seem right so I took a closer look at how the Minn Kota prop
spun when I put in in forward & reverse.
You guessed it...the opposite way from what you would expect.
I had assumed that the cables leading to the battery posts were like your
normal 14-2 household wiring.
That is..... black hot & white neutral. It was the opposite.... the white
wire belonged on the + post and black on the - post.
I couldn't remember how it was connected when I re-installed the battery
....and with a 50% chance of getting it right...i didn't.
I'll mark or apply red tape to that white wire so I don't make that mistake
again.

Wayne.B July 8th 10 03:14 PM

Thanks to all... starter problem solved

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:29:54 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

Maybe... but in here every bit of information is used as a weapon.

You can thank your pal in MD for that state of affairs. I think a lot
of us would appreciate knowing which component or connection was
failing.