Default Thanks to all... starter problem solved

"W1TEF" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:37:46 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

The wire runs through a channel half way up a semi v hull.
No wire right at the very bottom, where water will collect first.
I'd need about 8" of water to cover the wire in the forward section of the
boat... not so much back in the flatter aft section.

I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that I used single strand
cable for that. So I got to wondering about it and took at look at
the "junk" box in the barn.

HAH!! For some reason I can't remember, I switched cable from single
strand to stranded because I found the single strand cable I bought
from Agway.

Must be getting old. :)

Beats the alternative... ;-)

YukonBound wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
YukonBound wrote:

"W1TEF" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:59:27 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

Thanks to some dogged investigating, I've solved my starter
problem and all
works well.
I won't bore you with the details........ but after 'the fix' was
made, the
starter jumped up and threw that flywheel around like a champ.

So what was it?

Ok.. since you asked...
This solution was in the back of my mind from the start, but I
didn't want to try anything for fear of causing problems.
I was able to turn the bendix toothed gear by hand and one way it
would raise up on a helix to the flywheel so I felt nothing was
seized there.
When I pressed the starter I noticed that the bexdix was spinning
clockwise... same way as the flywheel did when I pulled on the cord.
This didn't seem right so I took a closer look at how the Minn Kota
prop spun when I put in in forward & reverse.
You guessed it...the opposite way from what you would expect.
I had assumed that the cables leading to the battery posts were like
your normal 14-2 household wiring.
That is..... black hot & white neutral. It was the opposite.... the
white wire belonged on the + post and black on the - post.
I couldn't remember how it was connected when I re-installed the
battery ....and with a 50% chance of getting it right...i didn't.
I'll mark or apply red tape to that white wire so I don't make that
mistake again.

Big deal. People make stupid mistakes all the time. I am surprised
your positive lead was white and not red. That would have avoided
the whole problem. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the starter
- Tim can answer that.

If you suspected that might be the problem, a voltage tester would
have answered that question in less than a minute. You should get
one if you don't have one. They are very cheap to buy and you can
use it for other things.

I have a reasonable quality digital multi-meter that I use on occasion.

So you forgot you had it?